Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house >

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Old 11-14-2015, 06:06 PM

I moved 2 years ago from a house I had lived in for 33 years. My real estate agent told me not to pack up my entire sewing room, she told me to just put everything away, move things against the wall making it look very organized and neat. She said just be sure there is no clutter. Moving everything against the wall made a big room look bigger. I did what she asked, but I did decide to packed up and store my fabric (all 36 boxes of it), that way I had extra room to put other things neatly away. The room looked great when I was done and my house sold in record time.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM

Thanks! We sold privately and only had one couple look at it so were very, very lucky. Settling into our Florida home now. Hoping to get the sewing space set up by The New Year!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:05 PM

You're going to have to pack it to move after the house sells, so it sounds like a good thing to start early. I'm in the middle of packing to move (after 35 years in this house), and even with 3 charities getting bags full of fabric there will be more sewing room boxes than everything else put together!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. NOW IS THE TIME TO START PURGING. My best friend moved back east last August. But the last thing to be put into the moving van was her sewing machine. You just need to box thing up and just keep the basic minimum stuff that you can quickly stash in a box.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Hi everyone,
I hope this thread helps someone else now!
Please note that we've sold, moved and are now unpacking and settling in!
Happy Thanksgiving! (I am thankful that we sold quickly to the first couple that looked at our old place and that moving is behind us)!
lots2do
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM

pack it up! Once you have moved you'll enjoy all your goodies! I moved a couple of years ago and had to do it, once I was resettled I loved quilting more than ever
Old 01-02-2016, 09:04 AM

All excellent advice! Everything I would have said - especially marking the boxes with numbers and keeping an inventory list of the contents. Down the road you will want that one special item and won't know where it is....wahla....inventory list will take you right to the box it is in!

Tip on Storage Units:
Throw the contents of a box of moth balls on the floor of the unit. Will deter critters of all sorts. Can be easily swept up when you are done with the unit.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 AM

Congrats on your sale and move. Glad to hear everything went smoothly and quickly for you. Enjoy the new home.