Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Organizing sewing room almost done, suggestions? >

Organizing sewing room almost done, suggestions?

Organizing sewing room almost done, suggestions?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Hi (smile)
I have 2 major hobbies (quilting being one)..As well as having to store all my art supplies for doing my faux/murals ( you would not believe the amount of stuff you need lol)
I've had to cram/store all of my supplies in one room. Since taking up quilting, it's gotten out of control..I hated even walking in the room= I wasnt getting anything done for lack of not being able to breath lol..

As you can see by the following before/ after pics...I did have a long banquet table in there for cutting material/sewing..However, My sewing machine vibrated too much on it and no matter how I arranged it with that banquet table the room was just too small...So I adopted to have a desk for sewing on ( perfect heigth) Although, it left no space for cutting = enter the ktchen table lol...

My rulers are now propt on one of the shelfs..Anyone know of a ruler wall hanging unit that works good ( very lil floor space left)..Also as you can see, my book shelf wall is a mess lol..The two center shelfs of the lrg book shelf have material just loaded on it with no organization.. Any suggestions? ( and neatly folding material on those shelfs I prefer not to do because I smoke ( lil smile)...And trust me, I have thrown a way stuff until it hurts...Oh, and I still need to organize the closet but, I pretty much need everything in there soooo... lol
...Sorry this post is so long but, I figure you guys might think of things I havent...
Before
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158756.jpe   attachment-158757.jpe   attachment-158758.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM

You are going to need more space behind your machine! Pull that table out and open it all the way up. But everything else looks great! Maybe a bigger design wall???
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM

I too have been working on renovating my sewing/exercise room. You can see my before/after pictures here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87293-1.htm I am solving the problem of what to do with my rulers & small cutting mats by having my husband hang a pegboard on the wall behind my cutting table(desk). I'm not completely done yet, but am already enjoying the new layout & cleanliness.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaBatiks
You are going to need more space behind your machine! Pull that table out and open it all the way up. But everything else looks great! Maybe a bigger design wall???
I agree - your machine looks "boxed in" from the left & the back. How will you manage handling the fabric? Can you switch & put your computer on the little desk & use the table for your machine?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM

I use a lot of those clear plastic storage bins with covers you can get at walmart to store fabric in. That way you can still see what you have instead of having to dig through all those bags. And they stack nicely too!

Most rulers have a hole to hang them. I simply hang them on nails. The longer the nail the more you can hang. Pegboard works nice too.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM

ohh QuiltnCowgirl, I love your sewing room..Especially love that crackled desk ( I did that to a focus wall and stilll love it lol)
The design wall will eventually be put up behind the door...And I had acutally asked for a peg board for christmas lol....I do know I need more space behind my sewing machine...I had bought a used sewing machine cabinet that hubby was going to modify for me..However, It didn't work out :( .... So we put the L shaped desk back in.. One side of that desk has a shelf= nothings going behind that...but the other side I can pull out away from the wall and as soon as I find a small table at the right heigth to but up against it, that might work.. great suggestions thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM

QuiltinCowgirl, I had already thought about switching the machine to the comp desk...Unfortunately, it's extremely tall...and my chair will go up no further...I think it would kill my back :: sigh ::

Honestly, I don'tt think I will be "quilting" much since Ive found such a reasonable longarmer..So I mostly will be piecing my tops together....Although, Never say Never lmao
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM

I got papers hanging on my wall too, I put them in clear protecting sheets.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM

I have a very small sewing room and have started going "up" the walls to maximize all my space. I have a cute black little peg board, about 24" wide with 4 wooden pegs on it, painted black, I hang my rulers on a metal shower hook and hang them on 1 peg, and use the other pegs to hang binding on. When I have longer leftover binding it's nice to go and grab one already made for small projects like potholders & mugrugs. You can usually find them unfinished at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or Michaels for around $5. I got mine at the local Goodwill for $3!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by lovingmama
I got papers hanging on my wall too, I put them in clear protecting sheets.
rofl lovingmama, That is what I love about having my own studio room....Anytime I start researching/studying something ( I get severe tunnel vision lol) Up on the wall it goes... Great for quick reference and the more I see it the more it sinks in...I also have tons of folders stuffed with the less important stuff cause I need printing machine rehab badly lol....
"Clear protectivew sheets" Gf, I learn it then move on to the next subject too fast for that lol..When I was in nursing school it looked like wall paper lol..However, I did have hubby hang that cork board but, now I'll I see is how small it is lol

Maggie_63..I love your shower curtain hanger/ruler idea! Thanks
And yep, if your rooms too small. The only way to go is...up lol

Hubby just keeps saying " why don't we just go buy a good sewing cabinet...But, heck... I keep telling him that until I know for sure that I truly love quilting and will do it for "yrs" to come...I'm not spending anymore than I have to...Other than the Viking upgrade I just did..:: pause ::... and fabric, notions, books..and...and..lol.
I think I figured out a workable solution, for now...I moved the desk away from the window wall and placed sturdy wooden TV trays behind it and at the end of it/right heighth.. And I can add more of them if needed or remove them.
Thanks so much for all the suggestions..It's really helped and is much appreciated (smile)