Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My New Design Wall :D

You are just gonna love that "playground"1
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Great design wall-

Nice job...I am sure you will enjoy having it.

Very nice and so useful. I don't have much wall space, I use my bed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Lucky you, to have all that open wall space. My design wall is a piece of flannel hung on a board which hangs in front of the closet in my sewing room. I can easily take it down, to get in the closet, but would really like to have what you have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    Ever since moving in to our new house and in to my new studio, I have had a 4x4' piece of felt thumb tacked to the wall for a design wall. It works nice - as long as you are only making something small ... or if they are just blocks, not strips sewn together....

Now that I sold my mid arm quilting machine on a frame (I never used it, so it was time for it to find a new home) I have an open wall... what's a gal to do with an open wall? Make a bigger and more functional design wall! I'm considering getting a sit down quilter of some sort but haven't decided what I want to get yet. I'll get something eventually

Here's a picture of my wall. It's roughly 7 1/2' tall x 8' wide. I can add another 4' on if I want to but for now I'm good with what I have.

After taking the picture, I did smooth out the felt a bit more and had my father in law add a few more nails/washers to the center where the insulation boards meet. They were a bit saggy.

I used felt covered styrofoam insulation boards to make the wall.
    Fabulous design wall. I'm still trying to work out where I can put one in my new sewing space. I think it will have to be a portable one.

Great design wall!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    Ever since moving in to our new house and in to my new studio, I have had a 4x4' piece of felt thumb tacked to the wall for a design wall. It works nice - as long as you are only making something small ... or if they are just blocks, not strips sewn together....

Now that I sold my mid arm quilting machine on a frame (I never used it, so it was time for it to find a new home) I have an open wall... what's a gal to do with an open wall? Make a bigger and more functional design wall! I'm considering getting a sit down quilter of some sort but haven't decided what I want to get yet. I'll get something eventually

Here's a picture of my wall. It's roughly 7 1/2' tall x 8' wide. I can add another 4' on if I want to but for now I'm good with what I have.

After taking the picture, I did smooth out the felt a bit more and had my father in law add a few more nails/washers to the center where the insulation boards meet. They were a bit saggy.

I used felt covered styrofoam insulation boards to make the wall.
    WOW, that looks great. But how long will it have ALL of that FREE floor space in front of it (think I hear fabric calling)!!!!!

Can you tell me the significance of the insulation board? I just have flannel tacked up to my wall, and it works just fine.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie View Post
    Can you tell me the significance of the insulation board? I just have flannel tacked up to my wall, and it works just fine.

I tell you what that insulation board makes a huge difference and I can't explain why. I used to have felt thumb tacked to the wall and if I put a few blocks sewn together in to a strip, it would not stick to the wall but on this one it does... and if it is too heavy, you can pin it up... Name:  hawaiianprint.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  52.4 KB

This is just hanging on my new wall. It's 66x70 and I didn't have to use any pins at all. It just stuck there... for several days until I took it off. I couldn't do that with the felt thumbtacked to the wall. Blocks were always falling off it...

As for the floor space in front of it becoming overrun with fabric... I'm trying hard to keep that area clear. I do have my ironing board in front of it but that's easy to move when I need to use the design wall.... so far so good though!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast