Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Need Ideas For Storing Finished Quilts >
  • Need Ideas For Storing Finished Quilts

• Need Ideas For Storing Finished Quilts

Old 04-14-2016, 05:53 AM

I had a friend's hubby make a quilt box. It is made of Oak, but can be whatever wood you prefer. It had glass on the sides and top. It holds many quilts and I have had many compliments on it. I love it!
    Mariah
    Old 04-14-2016, 07:29 AM

Do you have a dining room hutch, curio cabinet, or hutch? I think quilts folded on shelves behind glass look so charming year-round.
    Old 04-14-2016, 10:44 AM
    Power Poster

You could do this and put them in a large Umbrella type basket in the corners of your rooms or like tall wicker hampers.
    Originally Posted by Mkotch
    This may not work for your space, but I got a bunch of pool noodles and covered them with muslin. Then I rolled the quilts up and stood the noodle upright. For larger quilts, I taped (with archival tape) two noodles together. They stand nicely in the closet and could possibly stand in a corner.
    Old 04-14-2016, 05:51 PM

If you have to put them away from the sunny CA sun, you could fold them in half and put them under your mattress. Also, you can use a sheet in a suitcase and fold the quilts in the suitcases (or trunks). I would not let them touch the wood. Good luck
    Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM

I store mine on my guest room bed one on top of each other and change them monthly to a diff . design. I store about 10 that way. when company come i place them in the closet exceot the one i leave on the bed according to season, ie christmas, easter etc. If i am not going to use the room for awhile. I will spread a king sheet over to keep the dust off. cmaras1234

Last edited by CMARAS1234; 04-14-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: addit
    Old 04-15-2016, 04:37 AM

I do the same as CMARAS. It works and nothing to buy or store for later.
    Old 04-15-2016, 06:57 AM

Quilters...you're such a resourceful bunch! There are so many great ideas here. Thanks, so much! I don't know how I'm going to store them yet. My cat would just love it if I stacked them on the guest bed...LOL...So comfy and cozy. But, he also sheds like crazy, so I'd always be washing them. Great idea though, if you don't have critters. I like the idea of putting them behind glass, so that you could see them, but they'd stay clean. I also like the idea of a corner shelf unit because it doesn't take up as much wall space, which is very limited at my house. Rolling them up and stacking them is good too.

~ Cindy
    Old 04-15-2016, 08:04 AM

I would love to have a ladder against the wall to hang quilts on -- but I think my cats would run up the quilts and sleep on them!
    Old 04-21-2016, 04:15 AM

I saw this and had two built; one on each side of my French Doors. Takes up very little space and one holds 9 quilts. Actually, one could hold 12 quilts easily if you just put the rods closer. Cheap and easy to make. I used wooden closet rods from Lowes and 6 inch pine boards. (Tried wider boards but they were too deep. Used a keyhole saw-the tool for drilling out holes for door knobs- which fits the dowel rods perfectly.) I also have a small cot with multiple quilts layered up on it, and an assortment of quilted pillows on top. I love my racks!
    Attached Thumbnails multiple-quilt-rack.jpg  
    Old 04-21-2016, 06:23 AM
    Power Poster

This also keeps them fresh smelling especially when you change them from season to season or even on a monthly basis.
    Originally Posted by CMARAS1234
    I store mine on my guest room bed one on top of each other and change them monthly to a diff . design. I store about 10 that way. when company come i place them in the closet exceot the one i leave on the bed according to season, ie christmas, easter etc. If i am not going to use the room for awhile. I will spread a king sheet over to keep the dust off. cmaras1234