New Sewing Table

Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 AM

Now you too are an executive and have the desk to prove it. It is beautiful.......tough decision..to cut or not..
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 AM

After 20 years of looking for the right sewing table at a price I can finally afford , I found one. Now my machine sits recessed , and I could not be happier. Sewing on a large flat surface is one of those things that just can't be under rated.
Your desk is a beauty , make it to what you want to get the full value.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I see quite a few of these in the thrift store near me. There is also a used office furniture store near us. My Dh office desk is about 3 1/2' by 6'. Told him I wanted it. but he reminded me we can't get it into the hall (too narrow) to get into sewing room. Tried that once before. He ended up cutting up that desk and turning it into kitchen table.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
Awesome find! I would totally cut the recess. You'll be amazed how much better your shoulders feel when your machine is a the right height.
I think you would really love being able to sew with the flush top. Nothing compares to sewing with a machine in a cabinet. ANd it is your sewing table-go for it!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 AM

I too started with a nice big desk. I felt the same way about cutting into it. The thing is, unless your going to use it again as just a desk, I say go for it. You bought it for sewing on, so make it work for you. It took me time to say go ahead and cut into mine but it's one of the best decisions I've made in my sewing room. I never looked back, once it was done. I use my Sew Steady Table(without the legs) so that we didn't have to worry about making the hole for the machine a perfect fit. Works beautiful and looks great! Good luck with your new beautiful sewing desk!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM

This is your sewing table now and if I were you I would certainly put a lift on it--I'd love a table top even with my machine and not having whatever I was working on hang over the end of the machine or extension table. Also, the depth of this table is great for anything large.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:34 PM

I want something like that and am looking for the express purpose of lowering my machine to ease shoukder pain. Good luck. It's classy looking.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Lovely table/desk. Congratulations.

How far is it from the floor to the top of the desk, where the bottom of the machine would sit? How tall are you?

I experimented quite a bit until I found my perfect ergonomics. I am 5'6 tall and the surface on which my machine sits is 29.5 inches from the floor. I did not have the machine recessed. I cut no holes in my beautiful, custom-made solid oak furniture, which I designed and hubby made. Instead, I designed a raised surface plus an insert/surround for the machine. The insert fits around the machine and nestles into the rest of the top. The rest of the top is permanently affixed, and only the surround can be removed and replaced. The needle plate in the bed of the machine, also the top of the raised surface and the surround, is 32 inches high. It's perfect for me. I use many different machines and have four different, custom-make oak inserts, which, between them, work for all my machines. This means my sewing surface is even and the quilt being quilted is well supported. Believe me, it makes all the difference!

I hope this description is enough to get you thinking. Please ask any questions. I cannot go downstairs to my sewing room and take pictures because I'm recovering from major surgery, but if it is really important to you, I could ask my husband if he would.

I suggest that, if you are working with a big project, you move your machine to the right a bit more.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 01-16-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:43 PM

Nice sewing table.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:44 PM

I certainly would not want to cut into the top of a beautiful desk like that.. I have a machine on a built in desk and I use an office chair that raises up so that is higher than a regular chair Then when I sew so I don't experience the tiredness in my shoulders and arms. Enjoy your new "sewing table" and the storage space. Happy stitching.