Not Again !!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of what you had and loved and worked so hard to get almost to your liking. I agree--step away from Pinterest.

I felt overwhelmed planning a new kitchen a few months ago and was finding NOTHING on Pinterest for a space I liked that roughly matched what I was looking for.

So I made a list of everything I hated in one column, and what changes to each one in the other.

I would recommend you do that.
Start with color. Find a fabric in a color you love and could be surrounded with all year long. I chose pale yellow. Keep that fabric in a special place so you'll have it to color-match paint when the time comes.

Make sure you like your view. That's huge.
You've done this before so you know what kind of space you need to move around it--and it sounds like you'll have NO problem having enough space!

Plenty of electrical outlets.
A place for handwork.
Design wall not near sunlight unless you can draw a shade to protect the fabric.

Acoustics. Is the basement echo-ey?
Have a bathroom down there? Sink? Coffee maker? Chocolate cupboard? haha
Old 08-17-2015, 11:23 PM

So sorry. As others have said lighting, colour and plenty of sockets for your machines iron etc. you can reduce extension leads. Draw a plan of how it will go together places of furniture you still have or need.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:52 AM

What a wonderful room this will be. go to one of the big box stores and use their computer to help you out on the designing of the room.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:09 AM

Wow...sorry you have gone through all of this. Remember, baby steps. Floor, paint choice, great lighting. Everything after that will simply flow. This is your room, your domain, your happy place. Make it that way again. Go for it!!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 AM

I can sympathize with you. Since moving into this present house I've discovered a couple areas with water problems. The previous owners had their downspouts too close to the house so everytime it rained it came into the basement along one wall where I had my shelves of quilting cottons. Once I got that fixed then one of my pipes burst overhead of my dress fabrics and notebooks full of projects. The books were toast so I tossed them, dried all the fabrics. Was fortunate that only one fabric bled onto another fabric, a burgundy red crepe wool onto a peach colored linen. What a mess. Got that fixed and then discovered a pin hole leak coming thru the side wall. Sprayed a substance onto to stop that leak as well as onto some of the floor as it seems to be seeping up from the floor too. Old house so I'm sure they never put some sort of water proof sheeting down before pouring the concrete. Floor kept crumbling in some areas. Anyway, I'm dry now this season.

Nice large area you have though.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:03 AM

Wow Snooze.... I hope I don't keep finding problems! Ouch. I have always loved setting my sewing space but I have moved and changed it so many times the last couple years and now to start from scratch with no limits really is just a little overwhelming. I plan to make a scale drawing today and then start a wish list and try to find someone to build some custom cabinetry or failing that getting ready to assemble cabinets and customizing the interiors, I am pretty handy with power tools( if I do say so myself). Does anyone have a Koala or Horn cabinet or have an opinion on the pros and cons of each? That is on my list for sure...or a custom built one if I can find a skilled wood worker in this area.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I agree with NJ Quilter. I would start from there. We removed our dishwasher. DH put kitchen back to way it was just change trim. Now onto the living room. Maybe just tweak what you have.
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
If the area was set up just the way you liked it before, is there some reason you can't just put it back that way? Maybe a different color if the green wasn't exactly to your liking? But if you liked it the way it was before, why change it once you get the repairs done?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 AM

tjk829 wrote:
I have the books Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space and Dream Sewing Spaces Anyone know a good space planner cause I am floundering!
-----------
I was wanting some new planning tool too, and one day this is what I came up with to plan my dream studio (hope this helps! :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528099[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2015-08-18-9.18.23-am.png  
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by tjk829 View Post
The room will actually be quite a bit larger since there were walls removed and added another 300 square feet so now it is about 700 square feet in size which is about double what is was. It just seems daunting to figure out how is should be... on the other hand I probably need more fabric....hmmmm lol
There ya go-a super excuse for fabric shopping. But while your floor is still cement get your chalk out and a tape measure- measure the things that you have and plan to use again. If you are getting new cabinets go to Menards or Lowes and get a look at what they have and they will give you pamphlets of every thing with measurements and colors they come in-they can also do a computer print out of your room and all the things you will be putting into it -Free of charge. Try not to stress -you are an old hand at creating sewing rooms. Hey it was beautiful before and it will be again.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM

I Love the colors you had and also the arrangement. Like someone else said, just take a time at a time.