Not Again !!

Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 AM

My machines were whisked away at the moment of discovery and placed in "storage" ( the living room) and I only lost 3 yards of fabric...very thankful! We have started to install the ceiling and will be adding ceiling fans this time. I think I have settled on a color palette but I found roomstyler and keep "repainting" and rearranging furniture! I am working on figuring out a custom cutting table with a large drop down leaf that will allow me to layer quilts on it, I really have passed the crawling on the floor stage! And it will be on wheels with a lot of storage. I am not feeling so overwhelmed now that we have actually started and I can DO something!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM

After looking at your before pictures, the first thing that came to my mind is that its time to hit the thrift stores and antique shops! That cabinet you had your machines in is awesome. Bet you can find some similar pieces of furniture for a song at thrift stores. One of my favorite items is the old fashioned TV stands on wheels. I made a large ironing board on one and can roll it from one area to another if I choose. I store tubs of stuff underneath. I have another that I put a smaller top on and it has a cutting mat for those little projects at the sewing machine area. I butt it up to my sewing table, in an L shape. It also doubles out as a table to hold the bulk/weight of a quilt I am quilting on my DMS. I added wood tops to them so they are the same height as my sewing area. I can pretty much just roll from one area to another and it really helps me a lot with my back problems. I stand/walk to use my design wall or select fabrics or to use my large cutting-sandwiching table on days when I feel better, but love having those handy little TV carts. They seem to have endless uses and only cost $3 to $5 and some paint, and I got to "play" with my power tools. ;o) Yep, definitely time to hit the thrift stores. You can find real wood cabinets for less than the imitation wood stuff from the big box stores. My current project is converting a real wood student desk ($10) into another sewing cabinet with a 36x30 drop leaf on the back. The drop leaf cost $2 and all I'm buying new is the hardware. For some reason my phone will not send pix to my computer now, so guess maybe I need to get a new phone. Anyway, soon as I can, I will try to post some pix. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Default Space

Originally Posted by tjk829 View Post
Wow Snooze.... I hope I don't keep finding problems! Ouch. I have always loved setting my sewing space but I have moved and changed it so many times the last couple years and now to start from scratch with no limits really is just a little overwhelming. I plan to make a scale drawing today and then start a wish list and try to find someone to build some custom cabinetry or failing that getting ready to assemble cabinets and customizing the interiors, I am pretty handy with power tools( if I do say so myself). Does anyone have a Koala or Horn cabinet or have an opinion on the pros and cons of each? That is on my list for sure...or a custom built one if I can find a skilled wood worker in this area.
build a library area for some (most) of your fabrics, the bottom shelf could hold bins with some of your odd stuff, spare tools, things wanted occasionally. labeled. Protected if ever a leak and easier to pull out and look in if need. I find it hard to see and get things that low down.