Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Organizing New Year's Resolution for our Sewing Spaces >

Organizing New Year's Resolution for our Sewing Spaces

Organizing New Year's Resolution for our Sewing Spaces

Old 12-16-2013, 02:13 PM

RugosaB...

Hey, I'm starting small with just tackling my bag habit. I think it'll be do-able.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM

I'll jump on this train. I vow to get the pegboard installed on the wall above my cutting table and get my rulers and scissors hung on it. I also will get the TV mounted on the wall so I can move the cutting table away from the wall and have access to all four sides.
My studio is in the unfinished part of our basement and I don't have a lot of wall space. I'm thinking of making a fabric "wall" to hang from the rafters behind my sewing machine, too I want to cover up the furnace and some storage that's under the stairs in that area.
Once I get the pegboard up, I'm sure I'll be inspired to do more organizing and then get some of those UFO's done and work on the "quilts in my head"!

Anne P in Seattle
Old 12-17-2013, 06:28 AM

I promise to finish unpacking my sewing things from my move early this past summer!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I vow to not make any New Year resolutions!
I second that one!!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 AM

I do not make New Year's resolutions because when I do, life has a way of getting in the way and taking things out of my hands. Instead, I try just to do better each yr, I try to keep my house cleaner, try to not let things stress me out as much (like my daughter) and try to not impulse buy. I did really well this yr on the fabric, I actually started that Oct of the 2012 and only bought fabric when I "needed" it to finish a project or make one. I have bought a lot of fleece since this Oct because I'm making about 20 NFL quillows for Christmas presents. I use paper bags instead of plastic because then I use them when I'm cleaning the house, I carry it from room to room and they are better for the enviroment plus when my daughter leaves her kids clothes at the house when I wash them I put them in paper bags. Yes, its a little harder to carry groceries into the house but I don't have far from my drive way to the front door. I've tried using the reusable ones but I forget to either put them back into my car or take them into the store with me. I gave up.

I get frustrated when I try to say I'm going to do something and then life changes it to where I can't. Like my granddaughter. Her mom (not my daughter) decided several yrs ago that I wasn't allowed in her life for some unknown reason. I said thats ok, she's been around me enough that she knows I love her and when she turns 18 no one can stop us from seeing and talking to each other. Well, she turned 18 this past yr and we could finally get close again. Then one month I got a call that she was in the hospital with double kidney infections, she got over that and then got sick a few weeks later and contracted two rare blood diseases and in one month from kidney infections, she passed away. This yr I just want to stay closer to my kids and grandkids and enjoy life because we never know when its our last day or someone we loves last day.

Happy Holidays to everyone on this quilting board and your families.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

I am still going to try to use up my scraps. I still have a long way to go. I have squares that were cut years ago before rotary cutters became popular. I am going to use them also.
I put away all leftover fabrics when I finish the quilt I am working on. I totally finish one quilt before I start another.
Good luck to everyone succeeding with their goals.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 AM

This is fun. I give up on real organization, just enough to keep the floor clean for walking and organized enough so things can be found when needed. My real resolution is to plan ahead for cooking so there can be PLENTY OF LEFT OVERS which would reduce the number of days I have to prepare three meals a day. This should give me much more time for my sewing projects.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Any other organizing resolutions out there in cyber space?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:10 PM

So sorry to read about your granddaughter passing away just when you get back together again. It is really hard to stay in touch when someone won't let us isn't it?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:35 PM

I'm going to stick to the same resolution I had last year. I did it and I'm so proud of myself. I planned to complete at least 1 quilt a month and learn a new skill. I actually completed 14 quilts and learned appliqué.. If I can do the same in 2014, then I will be happy. I have my sewing room pretty well organized so that won't be a problem. I usually just have the "stuff" out for the quilt I am working on. Good luck on all your resolutions.