Organizing UFOs?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
My UFO's are stored in plastic boxes with all the fabric need to finish it, front and back If it takes a special thread that goes in the box too with the pattern. If I am collecting fabric for a future planned project I keep it in my fabric cabinet stacked together with pattern and tied with Christmas ribbon, If I run out of room for my project boxes, I know I have got to finish something! LOL Each of my grand's have there own project box in there
That is what I do too! Now when I run across a UFO I put it on my 5 project list and finish it. I've been surprised at the number of completed projects I done with this method!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:10 AM

I use the Super Satchel project boxes to keep everything I need, including thread for a project. They stack nicely and come in pretty colors too. When a piece is finished and ready for quilting, it goes on a quilt rack I got off Craigslist for $5 that's in my quilting room. The Annex, we call it. I gotta get crackin' on those finished pieces.....
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
For the second time in two months, I've ended up using a piece of fabric that was earmarked for a UFO. In order to prevent this from happening again, I would like some ideas on how folks organize their UFOs to keep everything together and separate from other projects. I have been keeping them stacked on a shelf, but when I'm looking for a particular fabric, will sometimes forget what the stacks are for. I'm thinking about buying totes, but they take up storage space. Just intrested in how others handle this dilemma. I know I will several UFOs going at a time, and/or put a project away that I've become frustrated with. Suggestions, anyone?
I have decided to make fabric totes for my shelving. lots of tutorials out there.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned

I put all my fabrics (and UFO's) that are for certain projects in gallon/2.5gallon
size zip lock bags, and I put the pattern in with the fabrics to keep it all together.

Forgot to mention that I also write on the bag what the project is, and/or
name of pattern.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 AM

I put min in those plastic bags you get when you buy sheet sets. they are great many different sizes. I just told them
family if they got any to keep them for me.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:28 PM

Default UFO Storage

I treated my self to this type of rolling container with removable plastic bins. I think it's for scrapbooking but the removable bins are just perfect for up to a 14 inch block. It helps me keep things together.
I got this at Michaels on sale. Better yet, my son's girlfriend had sent me a gift card to boot.
Attached Thumbnails rolling-bin-projects.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 12:53 AM

Oh, I really like that. I love that dust can't get into each bin. I'll have to look for it. Do you mind sharing the original price?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I watch for the boxes. I have 6-7 now and use them for project boxes. I have names on the front so I know whose project is in the box along with couple patterns and fabric going to use. One of the pieces of fabric (yardage) I'm using on another project and have a note stating that. May have to go back and get the whole thing. I got the boxes when they were on sale for $3.99 or one sale was 3 for $10.00. Great for so many crafts especially little kids and great to use as light boxes.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ohstr View Post
I used to put mine in containers - and I discovered that a lot of them were forgotten. Then I found an antique ladder and now my UFO's are hung on the rungs in plain sight.... so when I have the urge to get a top finished they are all in full view. I found I have finished more of them by having them close at hand!!!
I have also hung several of my UFO's in plain sight...in my case it's the old metal bed frame from my son's bunk bed which has a ladder like look. These are the ones that are closest to being finished, they help brighten my sewing room and also serve as reminders for the others that I have stored in plastic project boxes. I have also made a master list of my UFO's that includes notations about the project status and any material requirements.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:17 PM

I put everything for the project in a jumbo zip lock bag, with a note of what still needs to be done. Then the bags go into a plastic tub under my machine cabinet (by my feet) I found if I put them on shelves or in a cabinet they remain UFO's. By storing them in the open tub at my feet I will intermittently pull one out and work on it between working on my current project. Sometimes my note might say "20 blocks needed, 14 done, 6 more needed." Then when the mood strikes I might make 2 more blocks and change the note to say "4 more needed and borders", etc. Sometimes I even work on one because of its color. Maybe I'm tired of working on my current brown project and want to work on something red or yellow that is more cheerful to me that day. Sometimes its just my little self imposed guilt trip so I pull one out and just work on it for an hour. Having them organized and at my feet is what works for me.