Organizing UFOs?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 AM

I put everything together in a plastic shoe box or large zip lock big, like a kit. Some are just piles of fabric for a future quilt that i haven't even decided what pattern to use. If have the pattern or know which book its in, i include it in the container. I have a big basket that i store the bags in. Then when i want to start a new quilt i just pull out a bag or shoe box and i'm ready to go. I have about 19 ready to roll and in the basket they take up very little space. When i'm actually working on a quilt, i use a plastic shoe box to keep my fabrics together and another for the cut/ stitched pieces. Right now I'm wotking on Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, so the fabrics are in a shoebox and completed units in another box. Once the quilt is done, the boxes are empty and ready for the next project.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
I use the zippered bags from bedding purchases and try to isolate the group of fabrics and pattern in a separate bin for long term items.

Plastic shoe boxes are great for those quick, mindless sewing projects when you want a break with instant reward. I roll together the measured pieces for burp pads and store in view on my bookcase.

Scrapbooking boxes stack nicely and contain everything for a quilt design; shopping list; work-in-progress.

My favorite tip is having something ready to grab and go to work on when the mood strikes. Even a few minutes pressing units; trimming units to size;! or planning the next phase of the UFO adds satisfaction and progress
Kay -you've given me a great idea to try. I think I'll organize a pillowcase kit with some coordinating fabrics to sew up for my mindless sewing. Thanks, I needed that!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM

I put mine in the smallest container I can fit it in and put the name on the outside. I also try to keep the pattern with it. I use alot of the 12 X 12 containers for scrapbook paper for UFO's and they are perfect for storing blocks. A plus to is they are acid free.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:54 PM

I put each UFO+fabric+pattern in a sack made out of one of the leftover fabrics from that quilt. If I don't have that, then I use an old pillowcase. Each bag then goes into the drawers.

~ Cindy
Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 PM

I have some UFO's that are really old, and I'm not sure I want to finish them now. Do you ever get rid of UFOs? Do you throw them out? Break them up?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:02 PM

I use the stackable plastic drawers and bags if needed.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:16 PM

I put the entire thing (fabric, pattern, etc.) in a zip lock bag - gallon, 2 gal. (whatever size I need) and all stays there until the project is done. Sometimes that's years - but that's another topic for another day!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post

I bought coated quilt hangers from Nancy's Notions - my tops hang in the closet on these and all the parts of the project including the backing (lol) are in a 2 gallon ziplock bag attached to the hanger with binder clips. Keeps everything together - just wish I could find time to finish some of them.

Deb
I like this idea! My new sewing area includes a closet. Right now, I keep my UFOs in 1 gallon ziplocs or the small cheap under the mattress zippered storage bags.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:34 PM

I keep mine in the 12x12 plastic bins that I bought when scrapbooking was the craft dujour. I don't worry about the fabric breathing because I peak in them often enough with the intention of working on one.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:06 PM

Some I hang together on a skirt hanger.
Others go in a zippered bag that sheets come in.
Some small ones are inside the magazine that has the pattern, which I then keep in a drawer.
some are in gallon ziplocks.