Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Design wall: batting, fleece or batting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/design-wall-batting-fleece-batting-t181577.html)

stchenfool 03-05-2012 08:34 AM

I'd go to the dollar store and pick up a vinal table cloth (or two). I love mine. The back side keeps my quilting pieces up better than fleece or batting (and i've tried them too) and it's super cheap! Good luck!

roserips 03-05-2012 11:43 AM

My Latest design wall is a set of wrought iron shelf brackets with the shelf on top naturally no space wasted. Then a long rod I used a closet dowel, then a taupe colored flannel. (I prefer this color since it does not distract the eye like white or black) Not only can I clean it by rolling lint roller it can also be removed and washed over the years. Since the wrought iron has multiple curls I can hang more than one design wall handy for all the multiple levels I work on. Also to keep it stable I have a pocket in the bottom of the flannel for another rod that gives tension and stability like a curtain shade. (I wish I had the foam core insulation board behind it because then I could pin heavier pieces right to the wall.) That would provide the ultimate design wall! Have fun with yours.

Suz 03-05-2012 11:53 AM

A teacher once suggested using tan design wall. I don't use a lot of white. She seemed to think that white was too harsh, too much contrast. I tend to agree with her.

CoCoQuilter 03-05-2012 04:36 PM

I've been to a workshop with Liz Porter instructing one time she recommended a gridded flannel backed tablecloth.

Chris Kieffer 03-05-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG (Post 5030478)
Yesterday at JoAnne's I saw a Fons and Porter Design Wall for $20+ and all it was was a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth (at least from initial appearances)...I couldn't believe it!

I dug out my old flannel backed table cover and washed and dried it....it works like a charm! I'm loving it!

solstice3 03-05-2012 05:11 PM

Wonder how hard it would be to use a sharpie and make grids? Are they necessary??

KathyPhillips 03-05-2012 05:17 PM

I have a white piece of fleece that we nailed to a piece of wood on the wall. It works so much better than flannel, to me.

ghquilter53 03-06-2012 04:06 AM

Our local quilt shop sells quilter's white flannel, 90 inches wide and it works perfectly over insulation board. I bought the cheapest insulation board at Menards.

vickiehornback 03-06-2012 05:02 AM

I used headliner that's meant for the inside roof of your car. You can get it at Hancock's . It higher priced than felt but I think it works best. Hancocks have it on sale now and then

Steady Stiching 03-06-2012 05:24 AM

My design wall is flannel backed tablecloth screwed onto the wall with a strip of wood. Why use foamboad if you have wall spacce?