Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How do you store "other" fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-other-fabrics-t243141.html)

Lizard 03-13-2014 04:02 PM

How do you store "other" fabrics?

You know, things like knits, tulle, and all those not really for quilting fabrics? I have all my cottons and such on the comic book boards, but some of my fabric is too slinky (?) or fragile for that. It's taking up a lot of space just folded and stacked, so I figured I'd ask and see what everyone else does.

garysgal 03-13-2014 04:49 PM

I use a large tote for each kind that really isn't quilting. Like knits, t-shirting, etc. That way it's separate from the fabric I use for quilting/sewing.

luvTooQuilt 03-13-2014 06:13 PM

Me too .. I use see thru 30 gal totes stacked in the walkin closet for stuff like that ...

pocoellie 03-13-2014 06:19 PM

All my "other" fabrics are in the large plastic totes(65 qt. or larger) and stored in a retired 18 wheeler trailer, sorted by the type of fabric. I do realize that most people don't have that luxury or space to do so, but since we have 80 acres, I do. I have mentioned to a few people that I know in town, that I do have that fabric and that a good deal of it, is for sale, at a very reasonable price.

zozee 03-13-2014 06:27 PM

I don't have much non-cotton fabric,but what I do have is kept in a dresser in my sewing room/guest room.

Gramie bj 03-13-2014 07:37 PM

I don't have much "other" fabric. What I do have is ruler folded and in it's own cabinet.

Debbie C 03-14-2014 03:33 AM

You know when people running for office put signs up on those wire frames they stick in the ground? Those signs are made of corrugated plastic. After elections are over, I stop and collect those signs, wash them in my bathtub then cut them to 7" by 10" rectangles. They are my 'comic boards' - I have made hundreds of them over the years to wrap all my fabrics....cottons, silks, wools, etc. I feel everything looks its neatest when wrapped and stored vertically on my shelving systems. Everything is sorted by color from lightest to darkest. It makes me happy when friends come by and say they want to 'go shopping' in my quilting store~

Jackie Spencer 03-14-2014 05:29 AM

Besides my cotton fabrics, I have lots of silk, satin, brocades etc. I use in my crazy quilting. I keep it all in an old armoire, along with everything else to do with CQ. (sorry about the spelling)

quilter1 03-14-2014 05:33 AM

My quilting fabric is stored in 4 floor to ceiling Ikea cabinets with doors to keep out the light and dust. All of the 'other' fabric is in 2 storage bins in the closet in my sewing studio. I have pared this stuff down to 2 bins of knits, tulle, heavier canvas stuff and my lace wedding dress (I always planned to cut the beautiful lace and make something with it- 32 years and counting so far it is still a dress).

Quiltlady330 03-14-2014 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal (Post 6625083)
I use a large tote for each kind that really isn't quilting. Like knits, t-shirting, etc. That way it's separate from the fabric I use for quilting/sewing.

I use large clear plastic totes as well for all that isn't on comic boards. I love that it's already sectioned off by seasons or project-types before I start looking. I have one large tote that is just Christmas. Sure makes it easy when I start a Christmas project to know what I have because it's already sorted together. Took a little time initially but it was worth it.