Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   The Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/sewing-room-t209312.html)

CAS49OR 12-26-2012 02:13 PM

The Sewing Room

4 Attachment(s)
I've mentioned my sewing setup a few times and finally took some pictures. The sewing table is a counter bought at a moving sale, it sits on a file cabinet bought at the same sale for a total of $40! DH mounted a rail along the wall, into the studs, for the other sides to rest on. He cut an opening and we set the sewing machine in a wire, coated, basket. I used my Sew Steady acrylic table as a template and screwed it on top of the counter, it can easily be removed if I want to use the open arm. The cupboard was a steal too, $99 at Jerry's because it had a scratch on it, we painted it to look like new, and added three shelves inside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384143[/ATTACH]

He built some shelves into the small closet for more storage and we set another rummage special, a bookshelf we painted white, on the large bottom shelf. The chest was on sale at Bi-Mart and all my nifty gadgets and threads are right by my side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384144[/ATTACH]

He made the spoon hooks out of old silver tablespoons to mount the bobbin holders on the wall. That was an easy one, just hammer them to give them a "look" and bend them to make a hook. We found the shelves at a yard sale and painted them to make thread storage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384145[/ATTACH]

The "office" part of the sewing room got kind of cramped for Christmas!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384146[/ATTACH]

I think we are going to put more shelves over the sewing table, or maybe I'll make a quilt for it ...

I need to decide on color choices and we'll paint and fix it up some more, and obviously I need to organize my stuff better, but I have a lot more storage than I started out with and a nice, flush, sewing machine!

Oh, and the "cutting table" is the "38 x 74" inch counter in the kitchen/dining room. A large cutting mat fits on it, and I get my exercise running back and forth. :thumbup:

carolaug 12-26-2012 02:18 PM

Its looking Great!!! I have been starting to clean out my sewing room...its amazing how quickly it fills up. I have shelves all around the top of the room. I am also thinking of putting up more shelves...wider this time to hold fabric bolts.

Tothill 12-26-2012 02:21 PM

You have a great sewing space. Isn't it fun to find great deals and repurpose things?

I have a cubby shelving unit that we bought from a hiking store that was going out of business. The cubbies are the perfect size for Ikea plastic totes,

CAS49OR 12-26-2012 03:56 PM

Thanks! It is fun re purposing and a lot cheaper!

Country1 12-26-2012 04:58 PM

Looks great. Looks like you two come out of the gate running and with such great Ideas!... I like your set up. I really like the chest. Also the spoons, my DH and I are big time repurpersures!... Can't spell it but we do it alot. Enjoy your new area and love how you guys think outside the box!...
God Bless,
Country1

nygal 12-26-2012 05:08 PM

Don't you love having your own creative space? Looks nice.

AuntieD 12-26-2012 05:11 PM

Nice looking quilting area!

QuiltnNan 12-26-2012 07:09 PM

i love your pocket on the ironing board to put the thread strays, etc.

Jingle 12-27-2012 05:54 AM

You have a great looking sewing space. My belief is, you can never have too many shelves or cabinets.

Tartan 12-27-2012 06:03 AM

​What a nice set-up! You are going to really enjoy working in your new space.