Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Sewing Room

The Sewing Room

I've mentioned my sewing setup a few times and finally took some pictures. The sewing table is a counter bought at a moving sale, it sits on a file cabinet bought at the same sale for a total of $40! DH mounted a rail along the wall, into the studs, for the other sides to rest on. He cut an opening and we set the sewing machine in a wire, coated, basket. I used my Sew Steady acrylic table as a template and screwed it on top of the counter, it can easily be removed if I want to use the open arm. The cupboard was a steal too, $99 at Jerry's because it had a scratch on it, we painted it to look like new, and added three shelves inside.

Name:  Sewing.jpg
Views: 5090
Size:  37.1 KB

He built some shelves into the small closet for more storage and we set another rummage special, a bookshelf we painted white, on the large bottom shelf. The chest was on sale at Bi-Mart and all my nifty gadgets and threads are right by my side.

Name:  Closet.jpg
Views: 5083
Size:  31.5 KB

He made the spoon hooks out of old silver tablespoons to mount the bobbin holders on the wall. That was an easy one, just hammer them to give them a "look" and bend them to make a hook. We found the shelves at a yard sale and painted them to make thread storage.

Name:  Iron.jpg
Views: 5109
Size:  45.9 KB

The "office" part of the sewing room got kind of cramped for Christmas!

Name:  Desk.jpg
Views: 5149
Size:  62.3 KB

I think we are going to put more shelves over the sewing table, or maybe I'll make a quilt for it ...

I need to decide on color choices and we'll paint and fix it up some more, and obviously I need to organize my stuff better, but I have a lot more storage than I started out with and a nice, flush, sewing machine!

Oh, and the "cutting table" is the "38 x 74" inch counter in the kitchen/dining room. A large cutting mat fits on it, and I get my exercise running back and forth.
    Last edited by CAS49OR; 12-26-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Its looking Great!!! I have been starting to clean out my sewing room...its amazing how quickly it fills up. I have shelves all around the top of the room. I am also thinking of putting up more shelves...wider this time to hold fabric bolts.

Blog Entries
    You have a great sewing space. Isn't it fun to find great deals and repurpose things?

I have a cubby shelving unit that we bought from a hiking store that was going out of business. The cubbies are the perfect size for Ikea plastic totes,
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Thanks! It is fun re purposing and a lot cheaper!
    CAS

Looks great. Looks like you two come out of the gate running and with such great Ideas!... I like your set up. I really like the chest. Also the spoons, my DH and I are big time repurpersures!... Can't spell it but we do it alot. Enjoy your new area and love how you guys think outside the box!...
    God Bless,
    Country1
    Country 1

Don't you love having your own creative space? Looks nice.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Nice looking quilting area!

Blog Entries
    i love your pocket on the ironing board to put the thread strays, etc.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

You have a great looking sewing space. My belief is, you can never have too many shelves or cabinets.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    ​What a nice set-up! You are going to really enjoy working in your new space.

Such a great space!!!!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Thanks! It is much better than when I started. I forgot to mention he made the thread stand too. He sure is handy to have around. He invented a knitting gadget so I can turn two skeins of yarn without tangling them -- I'm knitting two-at-a-time magic loop socks. He made it out of toilet plumbing products found at the hardware store. PCV tubes and wooden dowels and -- its hard to explain, lol!
    CAS

Blog Entries
    What a sweet handy DH you have and clever too. Your sewing room looks so fresh and clean. Enjoy it.
    Abiding in the Vine

Wonderful!! I just love looking at the thrift shops and clearance aisles for storage goodies for my sewing room. Have fun and stay creative.
    Patti
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
    ~Mark Twain

It looks like a great room with everything you need close by. Isn't it wonderful to have a room? I remember all the years I sewed on the kitchen or DR table and had to put stuff away for dinner to happen! It makes you appreciate the simple things

Really awesome!!!!!!

yes, especially since I have no need for an office! If I had known I was going to be a sewing fanatic when we built the house I would have known about high outlets, a sewing counter, and storage, storage, storage ...
    I am happy we've done so much to make it so pleasant to work in there now!

We lived in a one bedroom studio apartment for 8 months while this house was being built and my new sewing machine never even came out of the box, and I just started sewing about 2 years ago. Luckily, my "ebay special" Janome (new in the box) ended up being a great machine. I didn't even know what to look for in machines.

I hope some of my budget ideas help other people too. I had posted my extension table previously and have to admit I like the built in machine much better! Hubby made the "extension table" out of foam core and vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki922 View Post
    It looks like a great room with everything you need close by. Isn't it wonderful to have a room? I remember all the years I sewed on the kitchen or DR table and had to put stuff away for dinner to happen! It makes you appreciate the simple things
    CAS

Great space

Nice sewing space. I wish my ironing board looked that good.

I updated my sewing space. We moved the file cabinet from under the counter. Now I have room for the serger, or can move it and put my other sewing machine there for company -- now I just need a sewing buddy.
    The file cabinet drawers open towards the sewing cupboard, so I didn't lose all that storage in them.
    Name:  Serger.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  113.1 KB

There is plenty of room for a cutting mat between the machines:
    Name:  SideBySide.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  110.1 KB

We moved the file cabinet over by the desk, stained a nice piece of wood to put on top of it, now I have more desktop room too!
    Name:  FileDesk.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  47.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CAS

This is where I was, I like my new setup much better!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t121567.html
    CAS

Very nice sewing room, I am intrigued by the "spoon bobbin holder" and would love to see a larger photo of it.

Beautiful room and what a nice set up. Your sewing space must be very inspiring....it's very polished and chic looking but still homey and inviting. Please post more as you get more done...especially your fabric storage. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathy

A mind is like a parachute...it works best when open....

Thanks Judy5cents. It is starting to get a neat looking tarnish to it.

Name:  Spoon.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  142.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by judy5cents View Post
    Very nice sewing room, I am intrigued by the "spoon bobbin holder" and would love to see a larger photo of it.
    CAS

Thank you Kathiemarie. I need to decide on a theme to decorate it and then paint and quilt to match. I forgot to mention he changed the closet so it is mounted on the right and opens backwards, that way I can still get in there with the cart in front of it. I do not have much fabric, but the tote in the closet is full, and the projects I'm working on go in here:

Name:  Inside.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  49.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie View Post
    Beautiful room and what a nice set up. Your sewing space must be very inspiring....it's very polished and chic looking but still homey and inviting. Please post more as you get more done...especially your fabric storage. Thanks for sharing.
    CAS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast