Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What kind of flooring should I put in my sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-kind-flooring-should-i-put-my-sewing-room-t230726.html)

Kequilts 09-25-2013 04:21 PM

I just posted photos of my sewing room with laminate flooring. It's so easy to clean up, and it's a breeze to find pins that you've dropped, unlike carpet. I did put a sisal type of rug under my desk just to make the floor a bit "warmer" and to keep my foot pedal from sliding around, but I really think the laminate can't be beat. No more thread sticking to the carpet!!

lfletcher 09-27-2013 05:28 AM

I have wood laminate in my sewing room and tile in my longarm room. I like them both. Easy to clean with just a swifter. I even use leftover cotton batting on my swifter instead of buying the sheets.

Cocoyorkie 09-27-2013 02:26 PM

I love the look and feel of laminate wood flooring. My DH and I are planning to remove the carpeting upstairs and on the stairs and replace with laminate at a future date. This would be easier to keep clean and is warmer than having tiles.

Once we have finished unpacking, I've to choose between having my sewing area upstairs in my carpeted bedroom where the lighting is better with a lot of natural light or downstairs in the lounge area where some spot lights are to make it brighter. The only thing is that my sewing area is not to get into anyones way. My lounge downstairs has a slat-stone flooring.

Rose L 09-28-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess (Post 6308081)
I am using a stick and peel vinyl flooring that looks like wood. It is the easiest stuff to put down. It has a 25 year guarantee also...

I am adding this to my whole house but using a vinyl glue with the peel and stick vinyl pieces to make sure it stays put. I am planning to put small rugs under the table where my feet will be and at my ironing board and cutting table to keep my feet warmer during the winter months. I never want to have carpet again...way too dirty for my liking!

RonieM 11-20-2013 10:36 AM

I'm barefoot most of the time, so I have carpet in my sewing room. Keeps my toesies warm in the winter.

joyce888 11-21-2013 06:12 AM

When we built our house I had carpet put in my sewing room. It took about six months for me to realize what a mistake! I put down laminate flooring and love it!

javin22 11-24-2013 12:54 PM

I have carpet but under my chair area, I have one of those plastic office mats so my chair rolls easier and it is easier to pick up pins and threads

PJQuiltersKid 11-25-2013 08:10 PM

I've had carpet and hard flooring. I prefer carpeting, because then I don't have to wear shoes to help my back. It's warmer, too. In the end, it's a personal choice. Are you used to hard flooring or carpet? What do you find irritating about your current flooring? What do you like about it?

DebbE 11-28-2013 07:51 PM

I won't ever have carpet again -- no matter what I did to clean it, never felt it was really clean. We have 18" tile in most of the house, except for high end laminate in living/dining rooms and the 3 bedrooms (one of which is my quilt room). LOVE it -- I have a very low pile area rug right under my sewing table (for comfort & warmth), but when pins are dropped I can easily see them. I've stepped on pins before when I had carpeting and that's not fun. Plus I have 2 fur babies that I want safe from stepping on pins, too. When I want to clean the area rug its easily done (take out to the driveway, wet down and scrub with a scrub brush, rinse and hang onto the chain link fence to dry). Not expensive to replace, either. These days I'm all for easy, not expensive, keeping clean and safety!

BevF 12-29-2013 09:03 PM

If you have extra to put forth and would like a warm floor there are floor warming systems/pads that can be installed under laminate. They are specialized for different types of floors so make sure you get the right one. My DH likes ours. Read up on it before you buy, it may be initially more than you want to spend (but soooo worth it in the end).