Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Scrap Organization:  Afraid I will cut and then regret! >

Scrap Organization: Afraid I will cut and then regret!

Scrap Organization: Afraid I will cut and then regret!

Old 09-18-2016, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
These are all good ideas, actually.

Am I the only one who secretly is thinking I should cut all these into shapes and then if I don't have what I want I get to go shopping for more?

I am so so working against myself here.
LOL

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Rob
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
That is why I don't precut any of my scraps. When I have a project, I pull them out, choose what fabrics I want to use and then start cutting.
I do the same thing, and I also store my fat quarters in with my scraps. I have so few of them, it becomes "out of sight, out of mind".
Old 09-20-2016, 04:43 PM

NO, I start by cutting the largest piece I can get first. say strips 10x10 inch, 5 inch, then 2.5 strips. I can cut the 5 in blocks when needed. The smallest I cut is 2 inch strips, No blocks. I will cut 2.5x 5 in bricks and squares out of the smaller pieces. I keep strips by color.

Trust me, if you haven't used it in 2 yrs, cut the darn thing. LOL. Make a Log Cabin or something.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:13 PM

Yes, I have regret cutting my fabric a time or two. Now, I only cut fabric if they are smaller then 5" wide. And, truly, I am starting to leave my 2 1/2" wide fabric in strips. Because, they can be cut down as needed or used as a jelly roll or even Binding strips. And, after a fashion, I finally figured out what sized I use the most and only trim to those sizes.

Good luck finding what works the best for you.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:57 PM

I am with you. I leave scraps as is. I do use them...but you really need some system of organization that works for you so you can find the specific scrap when needed.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:20 AM

I've looked at various options for scraps and found a few things that are specific to how I quilt. I don't do a ton of quilting so my scrap variety is small. Having multiple totes or bins for various sizes isn't something I have space for. I decided a while ago, that the parts of scrap cutting that work for me at the 2.5 and 3.5" squares. My goal is when the drawer for each size is full I'll make a quilt with those pieces - so I have an end game in mind, not just random cutting up my scraps. An added bonus is that I have raided those drawers a few times when looking for "just one more" square for a work in progress. I now get a sense of satisfaction when cutting down random scraps as I make a quilt. Having all the odd little pieces around is no longer driving me nuts.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 AM

When I'm done with a project and have scraps leftover, I put them into the tote named for the closest size they could be cut down to. If its a fairly good sized piece of fabric but too small to fold back up, I put them into one of the 2 smaller totes I have just for "large pieces. So when I go to work on a new project I know I can look in there for decent sized pieces 1st. Just the other day I went to the "large pieces" 1st to cut a bunch of 5.5" squares. Working on Missouri Star's cathedral window method and found my 5" squares didn't work so went there for all the reds and then to the "fat quarter" bin. Found enough to do the job. The 5" squares went back into the "5" bin" for another project.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:39 AM

I don't cut up my scraps - agree with ManiacQuilter 2. I just pull out when I have a projects and use, then start cutting.What it all comes down to is personal preference, and what works best for you.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:16 AM

I think this is a dilemma we all have! I separate scraps by color and put them in gallon size plastic bags. If the pieces are a bit larger and can be folded, I measure them, label them and put them back in my color separated 12 quart totes. Somehow, the little stuff accumulates...someday a quilt? Yes, I am afraid to cut them up before I need them.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:11 AM

I spent most of the weekend trying to get my scraps under control. I did a lot of pressing and cutting. I have some large pieces of fabric that I'm going to use to make blankets for the animal shelter or just drop off at the thrift store. Some of that fabric is 25 years old and poly/cotton blends. It needs to go somewhere!

A couple of years ago I cut a lot of fabric into 6 inch squares and made two quilt tops. I still have one of those not quilted. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these smaller scraps I'm cutting this week.