Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Scrap Organization:  Afraid I will cut and then regret! >

Scrap Organization: Afraid I will cut and then regret!

Scrap Organization: Afraid I will cut and then regret!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 PM

I feel the same way. I use scraps all the time, but I like to wait for a specific project so I will know the size to cut it. I am not doing any cutting in advance.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:25 PM

I have sorted my scraps into 2 1/2" WOF strips, odd size WOF strips, 2 1/2" strip chunks (Greater than 12", less than WOF) - then 5" squares, 4 1/2" squares and 2 1/2" and 2" squares. Something that is odd size I have cut into 7 - 10" squares. I couldn't sew due to medical issues so it was entertainment!
And this past summer - I sorted several large totes of scraps into 2 1/2" strips (any size) and sorted out the WOF ones. Then I sorted the rest of the scraps into predominant colours. Anything that didn't "speak" to me was donated to the local MSC thrift shop. I have one large tote of sorted scraps and my DD has discovered the joys of strip quilting!
I love strip quilting too! If I decide later to cut everything into strips .... well that's why I have a GO Big!
Old 10-04-2017, 03:36 AM

I do 1 of 2 things. I either place them on a shelf behind me after cutting a project up. After the project is completed I will sort sizes. Small sizes are given to my quilt guild on the 'Free Table". Larger sizes are folded neatly and put on a shelving unit that is categorized as 'lights- mediums- darks. This works best for me.
2nd is to take out my Studio cutter and cut apple cores. The last ones I made were to cut 5" squares for a Pat Speth quilt. It just depends on colors and a project I want to make next. The only sizes I really keep that are small are strings. I want to make a string quilt again. I loved my last one which was a Bonnie Hunter design from String Fling.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

The moment I read your post I thought to myself- you can always buy more fabric!! haha
I'm no help at all, right?
I'm having fun with my new Accuquilt Go so I'm turning a lot of fabric into shapes
Old 10-04-2017, 05:03 AM

I am just in the process of putting all my of my stash on comic book cardboards. Then, strips all go in one bin and the scraps go in another. I never cut up anything into smaller pieces. Granted, I only buy for a particular project, so I don't have a huge stash. (And, after I put it all on cardboards, it looks pretty pitiful!)

Watson
Old 10-04-2017, 05:52 AM

I just finished cutting up all my new scraps. Did it a few months ago as well. I have never regretted cutting them up because now I actually use them! But, I never cut up anything much larger than a 8" square, anything between that and too small for a half comic board goes into a shoe sized plastic bin. FQ's on half comic boards. My scraps just sat in a heap in a bin until I cut them. Once they were cut, I was inspired to make a few projects. Piles of scraps are not inspiring to me...
Old 10-04-2017, 06:50 AM

I don't use that scrap saver system at all. If I have a scrap that's a 5 1/2", then I'll cut it into a 5" square, but I don't want to cut up my scraps. I have found that I like to keep my scraps together and when I'm ready for a scrap quilt, I am not limited.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I have regretted cutting larger pieces "too soon".

I enjoy cutting, so I think I am better off waiting for a definite project before doing any cutting.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:06 AM

I put my scraps in a box and mail them to anyone who wants to pay postage! LOL
Old 10-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Here's a before and after pic of my recent scrap cutting adventure. Now that I see the sizes, I have several projects in mind... The stacking drawers are strings (1.5" or less or wonky strings), 1.5" squares and strips, 2", 2.5". The individual shoe boxes are 3-3.5", 4-4.5", and 5". And 1 shoe box is anything bigger than 5", but less than a FQ. Once they are cut, I can see what I need to use up next. Looks like a string quilt and turning the 3" squares into HST's are coming up soon.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]581717[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581718[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581719[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scraps-before.jpg   scraps-midway.jpg   scraps-after.jpg