Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of flooring should I put in my sewing room?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

What kind of flooring should I put in my sewing room?

I'm redoing my flooring throughout my house. I'm putting laminated wood flooring in the living room and dining room and carpet in the bedrooms and vinyl in the bathrooms and laundry room and already have new vinyl in the kitchen. Should I put laminated wood in my sewing room or carpet and why?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have carpet in mine but either would be fine with me.

Blog Entries
    I have carpet in mine, but, laminate is much easier to clean & those pesky pins that leap out of my pincushion would also be easier to find. Saying that, if you have a rolling desk chair it also is easier to move on the laminate. But, I don't have any problems rolling mine on carpet. I like the warmth the carpet gives. Guess it depends on your needs & wants.
    Did any of that make sense? HaaHaa!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I had carpeting, in my old sewing room. Now I have laminate.
    With carpeting, I could lay out and baste a quilt, on the floor. Laminate makes it slip around, too much . . . BUT I now use Elmer's School Glue and my cutting table, so basting isn't a problem.
    Carpeting was friendlier to my feet (I sew with my pedal foot barefoot) . . . until I dropped a pin, which my barefoot did NOT find friendly.
    Overall, I think I prefer laminate. I can see what's on the floor, before I step on it.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Carpet is warmer on your feet but not as easy to clean, and can "hide" pins.

So what is more important to you? Do you need the warmth in the winter months? If not, I would go with a hard floor.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Banned
    I have laminate. Much easier to clean with 4 cats and a dog and all the threads and snippets of fabric in the sewing room. In fact I have laminate and laminate wood throughout my whole condo.

Laminated! Easier to clean up. No threads in carpet. Most of all, you can see needles and such when you drop them! Some of them little things hide in the carpet! I have Diabetes and my DH worries so much about me stepping on something.
    Penny
    Country 1

I have carpet but I don't like it. I drop pins and stuff on the floor and it would be so much easier just to take a broom and sweep it than to have to hung for the lost objects and then vacuum. Also get thread wrapped around the sweeper part of the vacuum and have to clean it out now and then. If we ever put in new floor coverings the sewing room will be laminate.

I have carpet, but would rather have laminate. Won't happen since my room is upstairs and hubby is afraid the noise level would be too high.
    Please become an organ donor
    It really does save lives, my husband is living proof.

I have both . . . . . carpet at home and laminate at cabin. I would do laminate. It is so much easier to clean. You know "cleaning" that little project I always intend to do, but am captured by a project and put it off. LOL

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast