Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Friend too please!

Red face Friend too please!

After see the post from Seattle, I would like to put "out there" that I am also looking for a friend. I am in Springfield, IL & I have thought about going to the local quilt guild, but I am not very good (terrified) at meeting new people in such a large group. Is there a member here on the board I could get to know a little here, & then maybe go to a meeting with? P.S. I am 48 yrs. & I have been sewing 40 years & quilting for the last few years.

Sure wish we lived close - I love to quilt with friends but hate large crowds - even if i know most of the people. My friend that used to go to the guild with quit going, so I did too.

Blog Entries
    Sorry I do not live closer (I am in Maryland) but I had to share my experience with you. Several years ago I was in your position. I wanted desperately to belong to a group of quilters but was terrified about going to my local quilt guild alone. The first month I chickened out but the second time I held my breath and marched on into the meeting ALONE. It was the best thing I ever did. The president greeted me and introduced me around. the people were so nice and welcoming I felt right at home. Remember these ladies LOVE the same thing you do and all QUILTERS are wonderful people....So march on

wish we lived closer - I'm out on Long Island. I find even walking into my LQS alone very intimidating! I know I can pretty much hold my own in my quilting, but you kind of get that feeling that your work isn't quite 'good enough' and others will be judging you, so I tend to stay in my comfort zone (my home studio). Hey, we can be 'virtual buddies' !!

mah
    Have you checked out any local quilt shops to see if they hold "open sewing" days? Usually you just work on your own UFO's. That is a good way to start small and not be so overwhelmed.

I live in south Mississippi but let me tell you what happened to me. I did belong to a guild about 45 miles away and drove there once a month for 6 years, then gas, well you know. I had not belonged to a guild for a while when a friend told me that there was one locally that meet the third Monday of the month at 6:00 pm. I went and joined, three months later I am vice president in charge of the programs. So far I've come up with some good programs but I have until October before the next vp takes office. Next month we are going to play quilt bingo, I can't wait.

Blog Entries
    I seem to be the closest here so far. I live in the very northeast part of Missouri. I am new to the area and would love to find a quilting friend. I wish we were closer sounds like we are looking for the samething.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
    I live in south Mississippi but let me tell you what happened to me. I did belong to a guild about 45 miles away and drove there once a month for 6 years, then gas, well you know. I had not belonged to a guild for a while when a friend told me that there was one locally that meet the third Monday of the month at 6:00 pm. I went and joined, three months later I am vice president in charge of the programs. So far I've come up with some good programs but I have until October before the next vp takes office. Next month we are going to play quilt bingo, I can't wait.
    Reginalovesfabric, I just wanted to pass on an idea our VP of programs had at our guild. At least once a year, we organize a school house quilt meeting. So instead of bringing in a speaker, we have 4-5 members do a simple demo at a table. Members can move from table to table learning something new. Since I have been quilting for only four years or so, I always learn something at the school house meeting.

We are also trying for the first time, an ice cream social meeting and during this time, members will rent a table for $10.00 to sell some of their extra stash, tools, etc. I'm anxious to see how that goes over.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Would be friends but Australia is a bit far away. Would you like to be my Internet friend?

Wouldn't it be great if somewhere on the QB there was a section for meeting new friends? For finding email friends or local buddies. Q-harmony? ...LOL. I bet a lot of folks would like that.
    Lara B.
    ... My husband lets me buy all the fabric I can hide.

http://www.buzzinbumble.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast