Some of you may remember I was given over 100 yds of fabric on my birthday last September. The fabric came from the stash of a co-worker's mother-in-law, after her death. At the time, I told myself, well, if she (my coworker) ever starts a family, I'll have to make her a quilt! Sure enough, she announced at Christmas time that she is pregnant.
The stash had absolutely zero children's fabrics; but I did my best to use her MIL's fabrics. I found this pattern in a quilt magazine from a few years back. It was designed as a Project Linus pattern. Of all the fabrics in the quilt, only three are my own. All the rest are from MIL's stash. I presented the quilt to my coworker recently, and was surprised to hear she is planning safari animals in the nursery; and she loves the color grey. The main fabric here is covered with elephants, giraffes and zebras, so I guess I did alright pulling that one from my stash. I chose the grey backing from MIL's stash because it goes with the elephants, and I saw no use for it in my future. Several nice coincidences in this project!
The family is especially touched that the quilt is not just from me, but also Grandma.