Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Beaches, my most recently finished comfort quilt

It's too cute! I love it!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

What a happy quilt! I'm sure the recipient will love it. Great job, and very creative.

A fun summer quilt. Great job!

Very pretty. It is so bright and cheery.

How cute, who ever got it will treasure it I'm sure.!!!
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Power Poster
    Awesome! Very bright and very cute!

That is sew beautiful. Love the everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MilyLily View Post
    Love it! Is the backing fleece? If so, how did you keep it from bunching up and forming "pleats" in the stitching?
    I am so sorry I missed your comment previously MilyLily. I didn't mean to ignore you or be dismissive. I use fleece as the backing on all my quilts and have gotten pretty good at keeping it smooth I think. I spread it out flat and smooth then I hook clip clothes hangers to the edges of it to keep it taut. Next I center my top on the fleece, wrong sides together. I use safety pins for basting and place them about every 5 to 6 inches over the entire top. I pay special attention to the corners, centers and quarter edges of each block as well as the whole quilt to keep things well squared up. As a rule, I quilt one block at a time rather than an all over meander of the whole quilt. This helps me keep any stretching confined to a smaller area and I am able to catch and correct it right away. I usually do one block in the center of the quilt to start, but from there, I either work my way out, or go to the edges and work my way in. I generally do outside in if I am skimpy on backing and want to be sure I have enough at the outer edges. In that case, after doing a center block, I will next stitch the outside edge all around the quilt to be sure it's secure, then start on doing the edge blocks. I will do the center sides on each side, then the center top and bottom and work my way in to the middle. Next I will work my way from the middle back out to the edge diagonally across to the corners.
    It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. It's just the pattern I follow automatically based on the quilt design and how the backing fits the top, etc. And I must say that I do stop and check the backing frequently to make sure things are as they should be. If they are not, I can ripit sooner rather than later. LOL
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Power Poster
    What a fun, happy quilt!
    Nice job!

fantastic job on this quilt
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4