Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bearly A Month >

Bearly A Month

Bearly A Month

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Default Bearly A Month

I've been a lurker here for several months, reading, researching, and admiring so many beautiful quilts. So now, I'm posting pictures (hopefully) of my very first "quilt." I made this for my neighbor and dear friend, who's son and daughter-in-law just had their first baby. They are in Germany, where he is stationed after a tour in Afghanistan.

The pattern is "Bearly A Month" from Clotilde/Annie's Attic, (baby quilt section) which I purchased in early September, and have been working on it since. I finally finished it today, and wanted to share it, warts and all. It's got some modifications like the sashing, and no real borders, but it's kind of close.

It's an applique quilt, so I tried the quilt as you go method from a book I bought, but I didn't grasp some of the information too well, and thought I would rag the seams on the back. But, when I got to that point, there wasn't enough material to make a good "safe" rag, so I attached a single piece of chocolate flannel on the back, and tried to stitch in the ditch around the inside of each block. Well, it's stitched, but I kinda jumped the ditch in a couple places.

The adhesive cutout appliques were ironed on..first the bear bodies, then bear heads, then each sleeve, leg, and top, then the 'extras' for each month's theme. Then, after making my 'sandwich', I machine appliqued everything in place. The binding isn't the best job, and you'll find a lot of screw ups if you look, but I'm hoping the new mom and dad can use it to help teach the months. I put in a rod pocket on the back, so they can also use it as a window covering or a wall hanging.

I'm eager to see what you all think, and welcome any suggestions. Thanks for looking!

GeePatti
Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   tophalf.jpg   bottomhalf.jpg   backing.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM

It is soooo cute! Welcome from Kentucky and thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Well, I just LOVE IT! It is so cute and bright. someone will love it for their baby. You did really good.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

That is a wonderful baby quilt.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

How sweet! You did a great job and I wold not have known any of those mistakes if you had not told us about them. So very cute.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM

P.S.
I used 2 sets of new pillow cases from the dollar store, which I cut up for the blue background (which is also the first backing under the brown flannel) and most of the fabric pieces were cut from old shirts, and some new fabric I had, but had never used. The bears (and sashing) are from new fabric purchased at JoAnn's locally, and the flannel is also (new) from there. All fabrics were pre-washed.

A special thanks to my skilled and experienced quilter neighbor Judy, who guided me through the whole endeavor.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by GeePatti; 12-29-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Thank you! I made it for my friend Grace, and she's loved watching the progress. Thank you so much for the compliment!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

I don't see any warts at all, just a adorable baby quilt made with lots of love. You did a great job!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Northern California. WOW. You did a great job on this quilt. Love the colors. Adorable. BrendaK