Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Better pictures of decorative bindings >

Better pictures of decorative bindings

Better pictures of decorative bindings

Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 AM

Here are two more pictures of the bindings. Very important tip about decorative stitching. Always have a full bobbin, it's a bear to try and match up the stitch if you run out.

This stitching turned out cute
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51001[/ATTACH]

Hope you can see the stitchs better
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51002[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-51001.jpe   attachment-51002.jpe  
Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

what a great idea. A real time saver and looks good! :D
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I love that idea.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

What a pretty way to finish it off !
Sharon
Old 10-28-2009, 05:00 AM

I love your idea! Are you attaching it to the back and folding to the front? or attaching to the front and folding to the back and decorative stiching on the fron? Thanks!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:56 AM

I attach it to the front pull to the back. I use to make a little larger binding to catch the whole stitch in the binding, but lately the stitching has been just catching enough binding to secure it with out the larger binding. I still use it if the back is busy and I want them to see the stitch's. This does take a little longer but it sure finish's nicely. I always stitch on the front just under the binding, this is my guide.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 AM

Both of these bindings were two that were just a tab bigger so the stitch's are on the back binding.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

I saw something like that in a mag recently...I'm having problems with my hands and can't do the hand stitching of the binding, so I tried something like that on the Oct. doll quilt. It is FUN and it does finish nicely! I like the stitches you chose for yours. I had a hard time making sure the back of the binding was getting caught though...any ideas other than just making the binding bigger?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 AM

The only thing I do to make it straighter is, to quote Billy, I starch the snot out of the binding. Am very careful to attach it with a very straight 1/4' than press it away from the front. This is when I check it to make sure there are no waves, than pull to the back and press it again. You could glue it down, I use to glue all my bindings, but lately I don't. I start on the side of the quilt and only pin in the ditch about a foot down the quilt. I flip up the quilt to look at where the needles line up. I put the pins head down in the ditch. This way you can see if the binding is straight and if you quilt just below the front binding you should quilt pretty straight. Now don't get me wrong sometimes, my mind wanders and so does the stitches, but I wake up stop stitching and get back on track. I have a few little areas now and than that wave a little. But now I try to really pay attention, and have gotten a lot better.Just make sure before you turn the corner and start down the side, you check the bobbin, like I said deco stitchs use a lot of bobbin thread and I have run out, Not good if your doing a bow to try and match up where you stopped. Yikes awful. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 AM

I can almost do most of the bindings blindfolded. Love doing them now, even mitering is easy peasy. Now can somebody teach me how to stipple. Really have a hard time of it. Thats why I use the deco stitchs, and a lot of double needle stitchs.