Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Carefull with those candles!

Right after Christmas my DIL presented me with a quilt I had made for her several years ago. She has used this quilt every year since then as a tree skirt. Well, this year she had placed a lit candle on the windowcell behind the Christmas tree and some how the candle fell or a spark landed on the quilt and burnt three blocks before it was noticed. God and luck was with this family as my son was in the room at the time and was able to put the fire out before major damage was done. Anyway, I was presented with the quilt to see if I could repair it. At first glance, I just wanted to trash it, but it seemed to mean a lot to DIL for me to repair it. So I found some Christmas fabric in my stash - not enough matching fabric - but will do the best I can. Here are some pictures of the damage and how I am repairing it. By the way this quilt was a "quilt as you go" so I am able to rip out the damaged blocks, repair or make new blocks and insert them in place.

Front of burnt blocks
    Name:  Attachment-166177.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  90.7 KB

Backside of burnt blocks
    Name:  Attachment-166178.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  101.7 KB

Removing the 3 blocks
    Name:  Attachment-166179.jpe
Size:  63.2 KB

Saving useable fabric stripes
    Name:  Attachment-166188.jpe
Size:  60.7 KB

Wow -- looks like a MAJOR repair job to me....you're being a dear to fix it... :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    oh wow. That looks like it would give me a major headache to fix. You're much more patient than I am to repair that! Best of luck. Please show pictures when you finish the repair work.

Scarey! looks like it could have been ALOT worse. Thank God it wasnt. Its very sweet of you to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    oh wow. That looks like it would give me a major headache to fix. You're much more patient than I am to repair that! Best of luck. Please show pictures when you finish the repair work.
    I now have the 3 repaired/replaced blocks done and will try to get them sewn back in this week. I'll post pics when it is done if y'all won't look too close.

That was probably pretty scary! Glad there was no more damage too. :thumbup: Looks like you're off to a good start.

Blog Entries
    Awww , so sorry that that happened. I too would save what I could and create another or something simular.

You are an angel to repair this quilt. You deserve a great big hug for this. I can hardly wait to see the repaired project. Hugz

Another fire warning-------while they are not as popular as they once were-------the fabric flower rings for candles will go up in flame very quickly as I learned Christmas 1977. Candle burned down low and poof. Son saw it almost immediately so we were saved. got a bit of a hole in my pretty red tablecloth. I've left it unrepaired------as a yearly reminder.

We have a BFF who is a fireman who says he sees more fires started by candles, he doesnt even have them in his house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast