Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cathedral Windows washing question

I started a traditional Catherdral Windows with muslin for the backing and it is so relaxing hand sewing the windows. But, I started to think about washing it. The quilt is so much work if I am not going to like the look of the quilt after I wash it the first time I don't want to spend my time on it. I have searched the Net and here and I did find a suggestion to wash it only about once every 3 years. To any of you making or owning a traditional CW from muslin have you washed it and how well did it hold up to washings. My only alternative is to stop and make this as a table runner and wash it to see!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Did you wash your fabric before making this? I shouldn't think it would be so bad if the fabric was prewashed.

Don't know the answer but it is beautiful!

Jen:)

I did, but I am still concerned!!! I'm going to finish this one and use it as a table runner, I'll see how well it washes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey
    Did you wash your fabric before making this? I shouldn't think it would be so bad if the fabric was prewashed.

Thank you Jen!! I love them, but am still concerned about what it will look like after a washing!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny Line
    Don't know the answer but it is beautiful!

Jen:)

Very pretty, they do take up time, I started one but still a work in progress. I have a long way to go, but than I don't work on it as much as I use to. Not sure about the washing, sorry.

Thank you, I'll post after I wash it!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy'smom
    Very pretty, they do take up time, I started one but still a work in progress. I have a long way to go, but than I don't work on it as much as I use to. Not sure about the washing, sorry.

The piece you have finished is just lovely. I like to do hand projects too. It should wash just fine on gentle. Lay out flat to dry. You may put it in a mesh bag or a pillow case to wash. Also you can wash by hand in bath tub (lots of hard work) and they come out nice. Remember you may vacuum the quilt to get the loose dust off. I do think you are worrying too much. Good Luck.

scb
    I would send it to the cleaners. That's what I did with the hand appliqued, hand quilted quilt my mother made. It came back clean and beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I have the same concern. I have done 2 4block unit sections thus far... about 28 more "units" to go. Did you end up washing the piece you were working on to see? If so, what are your thoughts? Picture of washed? Thanks so much in advance! Love your choice of fabric... gorgeous! :)

Quote Originally Posted by laceybritt
    I started a traditional Catherdral Windows with muslin for the backing and it is so relaxing hand sewing the windows. But, I started to think about washing it. The quilt is so much work if I am not going to like the look of the quilt after I wash it the first time I don't want to spend my time on it. I have searched the Net and here and I did find a suggestion to wash it only about once every 3 years. To any of you making or owning a traditional CW from muslin have you washed it and how well did it hold up to washings. My only alternative is to stop and make this as a table runner and wash it to see!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast