Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Quilt from antique hankies

Crazy Quilt from antique hankies

I had this box of old hankies...some belonged to my Grandmother, some to my Mother and others that I had just collected from garage sales etc. I was trying to figure out what to do with them. They were too pretty to be discarded and so I decided to make a quilt from them. That way maybe they wouldn't get tossed out when I am gone. Sure enough.. everyone who sees this quilt wants this quilt ...another problem to solve! One of the hankies was sent to me by a pen pal I had when I was 13 or 14 years old. We lost touch many years ago. I am including a picture of the block that I put that one in. It has her embroidery that says "to Dear Ruth, Mildred". Wouldn't it be wonderful if she should happen to be a member of this board and recognize it!
    I really enjoyed making this quilt and quilting it too, even though it took me quite a long time to do it. Hope you all enjoy looking. Name:  IMG_3377.jpg
Views: 5871
Size:  135.3 KBName:  IMG_3370.jpg
Views: 5961
Size:  162.0 KBName:  IMG_3376.jpg
Views: 5872
Size:  433.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Oh my that is beautiful, I have a collection of hankies that I have been wanting to make a quilt out of. My pattern is for one hankie per block sewed down on muslin. The each block is pieced together. I like your so much better what size are your blocks, sashing and boarders ? I would love to make one like this. Great job.
    God is good all the time dlprecisionquilting.com

You did a beautiful, beautiful job in making this quilt. What a wonderful way to display these lovely hankies where they can be enjoyed. I just love it!

Beautiful..not crazy at all. Love it. Job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by heart of Dixie View Post
    Oh my that is beautiful, I have a collection of hankies that I have been wanting to make a quilt out of. My pattern is for one hankie per block sewed down on muslin. The each block is pieced together. I like your so much better what size are your blocks, sashing and boarders ? I would love to make one like this. Great job.
    I cut 11 1/2 inch blocks of muslin, then just cut the hankies and fitted them randomly using ribbon, laces and other trims as well as fancy stitches from my machine. Then I trimmed them down to 10 1/2 inch blocks and used a 3 inch (finished size) sashing .

It is wonderful. How many hankies did you use?

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed your story very much and admire your beautiful hankie quilt! Great Job!
    Helen T.

Absolutely beautiful.
    Marie

Just simply the most appealing hankie quilt I've ever seen. And I should know, my name is Diane Hanke!

This is going to be a family treasure!
    Very exquisite.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast