Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cross Hatch Quilting a small wall quilt

Cross Hatch Quilting a small wall quilt

No math method of cross hatch quilting. I found a tutorial at all people quilt for no-math cross hatching & went from there. Some of my pics in this tutorial were taken after the fact. (My pics are all at the end of this post. Don't know how to get text, then pic.)

I took a piece of adding machine tape and cut it the exact width of my inner center. I folded it half, then in half again, repeating until I had it about ¾” wide. I unfolded it and laid it on my quilt top.

I show it here with pencil marks on the folds. Then I placed a pin where each fold fell. I did this on the top and bottom. I used the same piece of paper for the longer sides. That way you will get square cross hatching. If you did a separate folding technique for the sides, you will end up with diamond cross hatching because my top is a rectangle.

I took my long ruler and using a chalk pencil, started drawing a line from pin to pin. I started in the corner, the shortest lines first. When you come to the appliqué, just pick up the pencil. Continue to draw lines until both directions of cross hatching are marked.

Then I put on my Janome Accu-Feed foot (walking foot) and quilted the lines. I did 1 quadrant of the quilt at a time, 1 direction at a time. I had to stop and start around the appliqué. It’s not hard to do. BUT it is very tedious quilting! But oh the results! I am so happy with how it turned out.
    Attached Images Attached Images     Click to view large image     
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 05-11-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Carol in Michigan

Great job, 0;-)
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    Really good!

nicely done thanks for posting

Very nicely done - thank you for the directions. :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I usually use painter's tape of the width I am wanting. I lay a long piece from corner to corner of the item and stitch right along the edge on both sides (not stitching the tape hopefully). Then I move the tape so that it is right along side one of the stitched lines and sew down the other side of the tape. Just keep moving the tape (or replace with a new piece if needed) until you get to the corners. Then turn around and go corner to corner in the opposite direction. This method does not require any marking on the quilt which is why I like it. When there is appliqué along the way, I just stitch up to it and along the ditch edge of the appliqué to the next line and go back to the edge. I do the same at the edge of the quilt so that I don't have to start and start so often.
    Maggie

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tut
    Nancy in western NY

Quote Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
    I usually use painter's tape of the width I am wanting. I lay a long piece from corner to corner of the item and stitch right along the edge on both sides (not stitching the tape hopefully). Then I move the tape so that it is right along side one of the stitched lines and sew down the other side of the tape. Just keep moving the tape (or replace with a new piece if needed) until you get to the corners. Then turn around and go corner to corner in the opposite direction. This method does not require any marking on the quilt which is why I like it. When there is appliqué along the way, I just stitch up to it and along the ditch edge of the appliqué to the next line and go back to the edge. I do the same at the edge of the quilt so that I don't have to start and start so often.
    That's how I've been doing it, too. Love how easy it is.

Excellent. I have bookmarked this for reference. Thanks for sharing.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Beautiful job. Love the fabric selection, esp the border.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast