Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Dresden Plate Quilt Top >

Dresden Plate Quilt Top

Dresden Plate Quilt Top

Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 AM

Default Dresden Plate Quilt Top

I have always admired those of you who have made a dresden plate quilt. One of the ladies in my quilt bee suggested we sew one using 30's retro fabric. We started purchasing fat quarters and began sharing fabric with each another. My quilt top has 20 dresdens sewn to 13" white blocks. I finally finished putting the top together and have now decided to do a flower appliqué border. I am using the same white fabric that the dresdens are sewn to.

I have tried my hand at needle turn appliqué. I like this concept but wonder the wearability on a quilt top that may one day be washed. I know there are many ways to appliqué on a quilt top. I found a pattern for a flower and decided to try using a lightweight Pellon fusible interfacing. I cut a square of 30's fabric and a square of Pellon. I place the right side right side down on the Pellon square. I then used a water solvable pen to trace the flower on the wrong side of the fabric. I reduced the thread length on my sewing machine and sewed all around the flower. After sewing, I used my appliqué scissors to trim close to the sewing line then made a slit in the Pellon so I could turn the flower right side out. I then pressed starched and pressed each flower.

I invision the white border with a green vine that winds all around the four borders with these flowers laced throughout with green leaves. My question to fellow quilting board members, how wide should I make my border? Also should I incorporate two different flower designs or just the one design?

I can either hand stitch them or would using a blanket stitch be acceptable. I would like to enter this quilt in our upcoming quilt show.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

That came out fantastic! I think a blanket stitch would work fine with the flowers!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM

That is beautiful and the border will add to its beauty. Be sure and let us see the finished project. I think two designs would be lovely and of course the leaves amd vines will add to the color and interject a new feature. I would think the border should be wide enough to "look right" with the flowers and vines. Sometimes I just audition until it looks right. Since don't know the width of flowers, etc., hard to guess for me. Very, very pretty.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM

oooohh!!!! pretty!!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
That is beautiful and the border will add to its beauty. Be sure and let us see the finished project. I think two designs would be lovely and of course the leaves amd vines will add to the color and interject a new feature. I would think the border should be wide enough to "look right" with the flowers and vines. Sometimes I just audition until it looks right. Since don't know the width of flowers, etc., hard to guess for me. Very, very pretty.
The finished flower is about 3-3/4" wide. I was thinking about a 5-1/2" border that would finish to 5".
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

they are very nice....
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Cute flower appliqués. I think a 5-6 inch border would give you enough room for your flowers and vines. I would layout your vine and original flowers and see how you like it. You can always make other additions if needed. Did you see the quilt posted with 1/4 Dresdens at each rounded corner?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Cute flower appliqués. I think a 5-6 inch border would give you enough room for your flowers and vines. I would layout your vine and original flowers and see how you like it. You can always make other additions if needed. Did you see the quilt posted with 1/4 Dresdens at each rounded corner?
No I did no. Sounds interesting. I will check it out!!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 AM

Very nice....I love Dresdens and yours are so happy!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 AM

A blanket stitch would fit the 30's era fabric perfectly. The quilt is wonderful!