Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finally, 4mos i the making, it is finished and delivered! >

Finally, 4mos i the making, it is finished and delivered!

Finally, 4mos i the making, it is finished and delivered!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:07 PM

Default Finally, 4mos i the making, it is finished and delivered!

My daughter-in-law's birthday required me to give her gift some thought. She is homeschooling my soon to be 11 yr old DGS. He has Asperger's Syndrome and doesn't do well in the the public school system. She deals with the same problems the teachers did, but she loves him, where the teachers just tolerated his outbursts and didn't de-escalate his meltdowns. She quit her job and devotes her time to making him successful. And it's working! She is awesome and I wanted to make something special to tell her that I appreciate her more than I can say.

I had the quilt top finished (minus the embroidered words) by Thanksgiving, but I got sick right after and went to the hospital for A-fib. I'm still not 100% but had to get the embroidery done, sometimes only 1 word per day as my strength would give out. Then a friend offered to long arm quilt it the week after Christmas. I got the binding on and hand stitched (did I mention I HATE hand work???) a few nights ago. Her birthday was Friday but I was babysitting Saturday night so they could go to dinner. That gave me a chance to take it to my guild meeting for show and tell! I am so pleased with it, But I can't tell you how happy she was! She has posted it on Facebook, along with my note, so I thought it was ok to share it here.
Attached Thumbnails susan-1.jpg   susan-2.jpg   susan-3.jpg   susan-4.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM

She is so lucky to have a mother in law like you. Wonderful job and no doubt she will cherish it.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Oh how wonderful you are!! A mother rarely gets told what a great job she is doing with her children. And to quit work so that she can devote all her time to a boy who really needs it. I am sure she beamed her biggest smile when she got it. Also, I am glad you told her to use it. I have to pressure my Jim to use the ones I give him.

I just want you to know that it's a beautiful thing you did.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:24 PM

She will use and treasure that quilt forever. What a beautiful thing you did for her! The words you wrote will mean so much to her. Thank you for taking the time to let her know how special she is.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 PM

The quilt just wonderful! Just like your DIL for doing all she does for your son! I also work with autistic children and it is a very difficult job. I love the way you used puzzle pieces as your blocks since the symbol for autism is a puzzle piece. I wish your family, especially your son all the best!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:48 PM

Oh my, what a wonderful gift! It makes me happy to know that you notice all that your DIL does for her family, and that she feels appreciated. You're the kind of MIL that everyone should be lucky enough to have.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:51 PM

This brought tears to my eyes. What a thoughtful gift for you to give, and what a wonderful DIL you have. Your family is obviously blessed in many ways!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 PM

What a wonderful quilt and perfect gift! One of the teachers at the pool is doing the same thing. Her son is about that same age and has a similar diagnosis. She said she was thought the school setting was crushing his spirit.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:49 PM

Your note is so caring and full of love and admiration, your DIL will read those words over and over-but your quilt is the ultimate example of turning words into action. It is the tangible proof of your love and admiration. You win Mom in Law of the year!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:18 PM

You are a very thoughtful and kind mother-in-law. God bless you for your kindness. I know his teachers loved him. Anyone who has ever taught children knows that there is a love for each child (or they wouldn't be there day in and day out). But...may I please say that as much as the teachers of this precious child would have wanted to give him all of the attention he needed and deserved, they were really at a disadvantage with all of the other needs of a room full, sometimes over 30, children. All of that love has to be spread around to each and every child. I say this with 33 years of experience in the classroom. It broke my heart everytime I could not give full attention to a mentally disadvantaged child, a gifted child, a child who was experiencing problems at home, or whatever the issue. Your grandson is so fortunate that his mom can give him her undivided attention. Your quilt is gorgeous.

Last edited by GailG; 01-18-2015 at 11:21 PM.