Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, 4mos i the making, it is finished and delivered!

Finally, 4mos i the making, it is finished and delivered!

My daughter-in-law's birthday required me to give her gift some thought. She is homeschooling my soon to be 11 yr old DGS. He has Asperger's Syndrome and doesn't do well in the the public school system. She deals with the same problems the teachers did, but she loves him, where the teachers just tolerated his outbursts and didn't de-escalate his meltdowns. She quit her job and devotes her time to making him successful. And it's working! She is awesome and I wanted to make something special to tell her that I appreciate her more than I can say.

I had the quilt top finished (minus the embroidered words) by Thanksgiving, but I got sick right after and went to the hospital for A-fib. I'm still not 100% but had to get the embroidery done, sometimes only 1 word per day as my strength would give out. Then a friend offered to long arm quilt it the week after Christmas. I got the binding on and hand stitched (did I mention I HATE hand work???) a few nights ago. Her birthday was Friday but I was babysitting Saturday night so they could go to dinner. That gave me a chance to take it to my guild meeting for show and tell! I am so pleased with it, But I can't tell you how happy she was! She has posted it on Facebook, along with my note, so I thought it was ok to share it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    She is so lucky to have a mother in law like you. Wonderful job and no doubt she will cherish it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Oh how wonderful you are!! A mother rarely gets told what a great job she is doing with her children. And to quit work so that she can devote all her time to a boy who really needs it. I am sure she beamed her biggest smile when she got it. Also, I am glad you told her to use it. I have to pressure my Jim to use the ones I give him.

I just want you to know that it's a beautiful thing you did.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

She will use and treasure that quilt forever. What a beautiful thing you did for her! The words you wrote will mean so much to her. Thank you for taking the time to let her know how special she is.

The quilt just wonderful! Just like your DIL for doing all she does for your son! I also work with autistic children and it is a very difficult job. I love the way you used puzzle pieces as your blocks since the symbol for autism is a puzzle piece. I wish your family, especially your son all the best!

Oh my, what a wonderful gift! It makes me happy to know that you notice all that your DIL does for her family, and that she feels appreciated. You're the kind of MIL that everyone should be lucky enough to have.

This brought tears to my eyes. What a thoughtful gift for you to give, and what a wonderful DIL you have. Your family is obviously blessed in many ways!

What a wonderful quilt and perfect gift! One of the teachers at the pool is doing the same thing. Her son is about that same age and has a similar diagnosis. She said she was thought the school setting was crushing his spirit.
    Lori

Your note is so caring and full of love and admiration, your DIL will read those words over and over-but your quilt is the ultimate example of turning words into action. It is the tangible proof of your love and admiration. You win Mom in Law of the year!!!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

You are a very thoughtful and kind mother-in-law. God bless you for your kindness. I know his teachers loved him. Anyone who has ever taught children knows that there is a love for each child (or they wouldn't be there day in and day out). But...may I please say that as much as the teachers of this precious child would have wanted to give him all of the attention he needed and deserved, they were really at a disadvantage with all of the other needs of a room full, sometimes over 30, children. All of that love has to be spread around to each and every child. I say this with 33 years of experience in the classroom. It broke my heart everytime I could not give full attention to a mentally disadvantaged child, a gifted child, a child who was experiencing problems at home, or whatever the issue. Your grandson is so fortunate that his mom can give him her undivided attention. Your quilt is gorgeous.
    Last edited by GailG; 01-18-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

What a beautiful quilt, and an outstanding gift from the heart. Bless you and your wonderful daughter in law and family.

What a wonderful gesture! Lovely gift...I'm sure it will be treasured and well loved!

Blog Entries
    and she is lucky to have you too!1 Great gift and note... where's my tissue?
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours!

Blog Entries
    what a great idea...

nice

Acknowledgement lightens the load and warms the heart. Your gift and thoughtful words will be treasured forever.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    It is just beautiful and the heartfelt message is so perfect! What a great gift for a special DIL. What font did you use for the words? It is so appropriate for the pattern. Love it all.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty and what great thought and effort you put into the gift.
    I am sure she will cherish it forever.

This quilt is wonderful as you are for making it and as your daughter-in-law is for all she does. How great that she is able to stay at home and home school her son. She will love this quilt more than any gift I can think of as it is so heartwarming and sincere. You did a great job! Best wishes to all!

Blog Entries
    How thoughtful of you. The embroidery makes it so special, although it was lovely to start with. And I love how you said to use it not store it on the label!

What a treasure!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

You are both amazing ladies!!!!!!!

Your post gave me goose bumps (affirmation).

Both of you ladies are extraordinary women. Your dil for love of her children, and you for the love and recognition of family.

And, you created and amazing life gift.

Best to you all,
    deb in Maine
    My best is the least I can do.

How wonderful of you to let her know that her efforts are so appreciated and loved. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. She must be mighty special as well to realize that his life will be so enriched by her efforts.

Power Poster
    beautiful and so is the label very nice job!!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt and beautiful, blessed family. That quilt will be the source of comfort and inspiration for many years to come. Great job.
    Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings......... we simply continue to fly ........ on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that. OKAY?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast