OK, I've been really intrigued by the OBWs posted on the board, and broke down and tried it. The design that came about from the hexagons ended up not being symmetrical (I hate that, being a left-brained, computer programming engineer) ... but I went with it, and tried to make it into something interesting.
Also, this was my first time using fusible batting -- not bad, although I would never be able to do anything large with my current work areas, as I cannot iron anywhere except my ironing board.
I used an old sheet for my backing .. .another first. It was high thread-count cotton, but pretty old. I actually like it a lot for the back because it is REALLY soft. However, I don't think it will stand much wear and tear.
Another first was doing meander type FMQ on the borders. I've been doing a lot of FMQ, but had never quite had the guts to be totally random (again, my left brain, pattern-oriented self).
You might recognize the fabric... it's the same that I used in my bowtuck purse that I posted a while back.
close up of sky and sun
close up from the back side