Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I Almost Want To CRY!  Baby Jane drama! >

I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

I Almost Want To CRY! Baby Jane drama!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 AM

I started making my Baby Jane last Spring, not continuously because I've been working on other projects along the way. I recently got back to it after being inspired by other member's completed Jane quilts and how beautiful they are. I was working on a block - and as you all know while working on this quilt your seem ripper is close at hand. I was carefully ripping out a seem when I noticed I poked a hole in the background fabric. Ok, no big deal I could replace that small piece....well then I gave the background fabric a tug and the piece of material ripped apart!! I tested another piece of background fabric and I can easily tear this material apart. (see photo below) I have made 32 blocks and now I discover this?!!!!! I tried to tear the purple colored LQS fabric to see if this would tear- it wouldn't. I purchased this background fabric from Joann's- it's supposed to be "Premium Kona muslin" I tried to rip some cheap muslin I have on hand and that wouldn't even tear like this did. I am so disappointed- it seems like all the hours and hours of work was for nothing because I can't use these in a quilt now. I am trying to look on the bright side in that I can use these for a wallhanging, and I suppose this was good practice- but I'm still pretty darn ticked off. I have yards & yards of Joann's 108" worthless "premium kona muslin"....I bought this last year when I started- no receipt to be found- I don't know what to do. I'm going to try to return the unused portion of this horrible fabric to Joann's- I don't feel that I should be stuck with this inferior product. Maybe even defective? Has this happened to anyone else? This fabric shouldn't be able to tear like it does- it's crazy!! I have only been using LQS fabric for the colored fabrics of my quilt projects; I thought I could save some money using a "premium muslin" from Joann's and be safe....apparently not. I won't make that mistake again. Now I'm back to square one on my Baby Jane. I read on "That Quilt" blog the expression "No Pain, No Jane" well ain't that the truth? Ok, I'm done- thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I'd like to say I feel better but I don't. :(

32 worthless blocks :(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211394[/ATTACH]

I can easily tear the background fabric, but couldn't tear the purple fabric at all!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211395[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211388.jpe   attachment-211389.jpe  
Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Omg. Thanks for this part. I am just embarking on a baby jane adventure. Will choose fabric carefully!!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. I have been looking at perhaps starting one of these. Your experience has saved me the same heartache, but I do feel bad that it all has to begin again. Thank you for sharing and I hope it goes well the next round.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Wow, that's sure disappointing, to say the least! I wonder if when it is quilted, this won't matter? Wouldn't all that thread hold the fabric together?

I'm a newbie so I'll let our more experienced members comment more on this.

What a shame....and a legit vent in my opinion!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Oh how dreadful! I am sorry that you had to experience this. I would take it back and demonstrate exactly what happens. Your quilt blocks are lovely, I hope that it works well as a wall hanging.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM

So sorry........this sounds like my kinda luck.....I'll keep all your pain and anger and tears in mind next time I have a sewing problem....sorry my friend....:(
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Oh, no, that IS terrible!

Please remember, when you go back to Joann's, that it is not the fault of the employees that you speak to -- they are just cogs in a machine. Cold, steely, controlled anger and persistence is the best way to communicate. Ask to speak to the store manager, and go back if necessary to find that person in. Sorry to preach, but I cringe for mere sales clerks who are the subject of someone's anger.

One suggestion: Try to find a lightweight iron on stabilizer or interfacing and apply that to the back of some fabric and one or two of your existing blocks. See if that gives enough strength to go on with. In a book I just acquired, the author recommends Sulky Soft 'n Sheer stabilizer.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry. Is there anyway to put a back on the blocks to strengthen them? I'm still a newbie so could be wrong! Such a pain!

It does sound like you got a defective batch of fabric.

That is really frustrating!

I had a similar situation with some fabric I had received from a friend whose elderly mom had passed away. I had almost finished making a somewhat complicated lined double fold over belt pouch and as I was turning it right side out the fabric split just like yours did.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 AM

I can't help but wonder if this was defective. I've never had any fabric, whatever the cost or place of purchase, that has torn like this.

Will be interested to hear what they tell you at the store. I've not found Joann stores to be very helpful in dealing with problems.

And my sympathies - I feel like crying with you.