Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for borders to enlarge quilt for college-bound boy

Blog Entries
    I love the way your colors make every block different, yet they all blend into one harmonious design--and it's gorgeous. As much work as you already have in the top, the borders could be very plain so they don't compete. I'd go with your option 2, using all the shades of gray/black; audition different sizes to decide on width of each strip, with the bulk of the border in the patterned gray.

Have you thought about trying to incorporate his college colors? I like the idea of using the deep red as a thin inner broader, then a grey as a thick outer border, maybe bind in black?

My suggestion is use the colors already in the quilt to make a 2 or 3 inch squares border - use the greys as well as the colors. Then a narrow grey, pin stripe in black as you have in the sashing and a wide grey border like the outer one now.

Banned
    I'd do a 1" (sews to 1/2") white and then larger strips of all the colours in the quilt other than white and black

WOW - that is just beautiful - great job thanks for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

I like the idea of a smaller border in blk and one of the block colors outside in a larger border. or visa versa...which ever looks better when you lay it out. Which color is the difficult part. Maybe if one of the colors is a school color that would be nice or a favorite team color. I am sure whichever color you choose will look great. its a really nice quilt. (I would say pretty but it is for a guy )

Blog Entries
    I agree with the other comments about the piano key border using the colors (or nearly like) what is already in the quilt - it won't deter from it's originality, but will add to the size you want in the end.
    JO

Yes my first thought was a piano key border incorporating all the colors including the gray/white/black. Or you could make a flying geese border and even 1/2 sq triangles using all the colors would be nice.

And the quilt is just gorgeous the way it is!!
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt.

Beautiful quilt! I am no help with the borders...please post when done!

My first thought was a piano key border. Maybe do a 3 inch border in black, then another row - 4" in gray, then finsh up with the piano key.
    The one who dies with the most fabric wins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast