Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pattern for College bound boy

Question Pattern for College bound boy

My grandson is getting ready to go off to college. I am looking for a pattern for a quilt for him. Needs to be extra tall. I wanted to do a T-shirt quilt but his mom doesn’t save them. Any help in pointing me to just the right pattern would be greatly appreciated.

I did a QR quilt for a college bound boy. I did it in his school colors and included the school name and year of graduation. I was tickled to death when I got it finished and he could read it with his phone.

What is a QR quilt? Can you direct me to a pattern.

I would go with a simple pattern like a disappearing 9 patch in his college colors. Twin size for his dorm room bed or across an apartment sofa. You can also make it as long as you like by adding extra rows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Labcoris View Post
    here is a tut for one http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/qr-...-tutorial.html
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Maybe a denim/flannel rag quilt. It depends on the weather where he goes to college but a quilt like this is nice and warm and you can make it as long as you like. Good luck on your decision.

Perhaps a brick wall pattern in his school colors/logo? This one is super easy to add rows to.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bric...WgKUk01PY92gM:

I just made a college-bound young man a Bento box quilt in his favorite colors. He loved it. Easy pattern, and if you want to extend the length, just add more rows. Good luck.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1176
Size:  72.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I like this pattern but haven't made it yet:
    https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...ern-pdf/286448

Blog Entries
    Oh Prism99, that one is gorgeous. simple but gorgeous!

I made this for a college-bound grad and he loved it. These are the school colors and this is a simple disappearing hourglass pattern. (Jenny Doan). I made it twin width (for a dorm bed) and extra long, as he's tall.

Name:  DSC01832.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  204.1 KB
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is he going to a large college? Many of the universities have their own printed fabrics with their logos and school colors. If so, you could incorporate that fabric into your quilt. Just google the school name along with fabric by the yard and see if you can find some.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Banned
    I think all college dorm beds are extra long twin size so there's that to consider.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    I think all college dorm beds are extra long twin size so there's that to consider.

Cari
    This is what I was going to reply: All the college beds I'm familiar with are extra long. My youngest so went to NC State and I made his quilt extra long to fit the bed, although he is fairly short.

Here's "rail fence star" from Missouri Star Quilt Co. I just made for a graduating guy who claims gray is his favorite color:Name:  Gray fence rail star.JPG
Views: 992
Size:  374.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Labcoris View Post
    You can go on line and produce your own QR and then translate it into a quilt. It is only squares in specific patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    This is a great tut.

Honestly, I would skip anything that says high school or college. I am a university faculty and advisor. So many students change colleges, courses of study and interests that a beautiful quilt of either a modern or traditional pattern will have more "last" or "staying power". An example of this from my guild leader. Her son was a brilliant science focused student graduating with honors and going to a very prestigious university. She made him a black and white quilt all reflecting his interest in science and in two semesters he had changed to a major in medical engineering. Still brilliant and as he matured, he requested a completely different quilt design. So, back to topic, I would suggest choosing a pattern design that will please, perhaps reflecting favorite colors.

I'm sure your grandson will appreciate a quilt made by you but I do have concern for the use this quilt will receive and with the time and love you will put into a quilt. I would not be so concerned about a quilt that will fit his bed. Dorm beds become something to sit on, study on, eat snacks, etc etc. They get pretty rough use so a purchased bed cover might be more "conservative". Making something as a throw that will "fit" anywhere might be better? If he will be in an apartment where this is not a concern, then your quilt might not get as rough treatment. I'd recommend neutral colors or something in his high school colors if they are something that will be liked in years to come.

I was going to suggest a Yellow Brick Road pattern. It uses three blocks: one with three pieces, one with four pieces, and one with five pieces. You can make it as long as you like by making more blocks. Because it's made with non-identical blocks, and because you turn them different ways, the resulting easy quilt looks difficult to make, and it's a very interesting pattern.
    KwiltyKathy-- thanks for the link to the QR code maker. That's awesome for a teen!
    Prism--I love the quilt you linked us to on Craftsy! Thanks!

Carpenter Star with borders to make it long enough or Diamond Patch Quilt Pattern in guy colors, it has an extra long twin listed,
    Last edited by red-warrior; 05-27-2018 at 06:24 AM. Reason: addition

This is the quilt I made last year in my Grandson's college colors It is called Argyle. I cannot remember where I got the pattern. Sorry I don't have a better picture but you get the idea. It ismasculine looking which is what I wanted.

Name:  2017_06_17 Thomas' College Quilt.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  381.0 KB

When my nephew was graduating high school and getting ready to go off to college, I made him a quilt for his dorm. He likes blues and greens (very calming colors) so I did a snail's trail in those colors for him. He loved it. He told me it kept his bones warm at night--LOL (He is a very thin young man and he was going to a slightly cooler climate than his Central Texas home and I didn't want him to be cold)
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I've made several BQ quilts for my graduating grandchildren. Easy to do and I make them in colors they like, not school colors and didn't use large focus fabrics. Everyone loved theirs! Check out https://mapleislandquilts.com/gallery/bq-nation/
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    I'm sure your grandson will appreciate a quilt made by you but I do have concern for the use this quilt will receive and with the time and love you will put into a quilt. I would not be so concerned about a quilt that will fit his bed. Dorm beds become something to sit on, study on, eat snacks, etc etc. They get pretty rough use
    I can attest to this. My son (age 36) still has his baby quilt, which he loves, but it now lives in the trunk of his car amid motor oil, tools, and other "valuables."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast