Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Machine applique >

Machine applique

Machine applique

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM

It looks really nice. I too recognized Souther Gentlemen. I haven't started it but hoping to make it someday. I have trapunto in mind.

Your stitches look really nice. This is what I do so I don't have to worry about the stitches.
Before I start I set the machine to straight stitch and take a few stitches on the outside edge of the design. The engage the blanket stitch. Sew around the design and come around to the area where the straight stitches are I do blanket stitch over the straignt stitches. Switch again to straight stitch and take a few straight stitches. Take a few stitches in place to close and your stitches will never unravel. If you are concerned of the raw edges showing, reduce the length of your stithes. Make sure the horizontal stitch is right outside the border of the applique barely touching.

One more thing...If the blanket stitch will not meet again (not every design ends where it started), I take a few straight stitches forward, the same number backwards, and start then the blanket stitch. When done, sew blanket stitch all the way to the end and take a few straight stitches on reverse to secure the blanket stitch.

Blanket stitch is very pretty but it does come undone if not secured properly. I found this youtube with a few useful hints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYtBtprJ2M

I sometimes use the double blanket stitch because it has double the numbers of layers of thread to secure the applique.

Was I clear as mud?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
if you do it with glue (she uses the water soluble) and ever wash it, won't the edges fray? the iron on bonding keeps that from happening.

i do like the glue for other purposes. but i'm afraid of it for this purpose.
Hi Barbara, I agree with you. I can not think of using glue on my machine. Fusible stays on the fabric after is cold but glue could go into the machine.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM

I've seen lots of references to using glue on bindings to hold them while sewing. Sharon uses it for that too. I'm going to try that especially for hand sewing the back and not getting stuck with pins.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Sure does look good to me!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 PM

I like it.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM

I do fusible web applique all the time. I trace my designs onto the fusible web and before fusing it to the fabric, I cut out the center of the web so that all i am fusing is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch around the outer edge. The center stays soft and you don't get that 'flat ironed' look to your applique. :)

S.D.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM

I always tell myself I will do that hte next time and then find myself forgetting and fusing the whole thing. Luckily I use steam a seam light and is not too stiff.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Great job! Couldn't look better if you did it by hand. :thumbup:
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM

nice work
Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

I think your machine work looks beautiful :D:D:D

I get a few threads here and there sticking out and I just trim them back. It seems to happen the most when sewing in one direction, against the grain.

As to using Elmers instead of fusible? I did some experimenting, and after a couple of washes the edges did not look nearly as nice as the ones that were fused. The edges tend to want to fray out more. It would be great to use with satin stitches, but I wouldn't recommend it for a more open stitch.
The fusible just around the edges like SD explained IMHO is probably the best route to go :D:D:D