Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Machine applique

Pam, I think it looks great!

And, I really enjoyed the video that was posted about how to use the blanket stitch on applique. It was very informative!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the web site reference. It is always so helpful when I can view a YOU TUBE video after reading all of your recommendations for any part of quilting.

I watched the Sharon Schamber video again on raw edge applique and she uses liquid stitch around the edge, not the Elmer's School glue. She says it doesn't fray.

I have to go to Home Depot and get the 1 1/4" EMT pipe for my new longarm and Joann's is near there so I'm going to stop and get some. I really don't like the look of the fusible so I'll try a few more methods.

I need a few other supplies anyway (or I'm sure I'll see some that I need :-D )

http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/block_of_the_month.htm

it's a month-by-month. they only keep it on for one month. if you miss it, it's gone.[/quote]

Not really gone, just not free anymore. Each one is $2.00 after the first of the following month.

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/block_of_the_month.htm

it's a month-by-month. they only keep it on for one month. if you miss it, it's gone.
    Not really gone, just not free anymore. Each one is $2.00 after the first of the following month.[/quote]

[true. to me, if have to pay for a pattern, it's not there. LOL!! but i would look carefully at the picture and make it up to kind of match. BFW ]

If you look closely you will see that the same shapes are used throughout the Southern Gentleman BOM. If you miss a month you can probably make it up from the other ones.

I got the Liquid Stitch. Isn't it amazing that a little trip for glue can turn into $60? I got a yard of fabric for the IRR center that I need to do the 5" round on, marking pens, a package of empty bottles with 4 sizes of metal tips for the glue, sewing machine needles, and a small pressing and cutting board.

Also got the pipe for the LA frame which came to $41.

:thumbup:

This is the first block for my grandaughter's quilt so I tried the Liquid Stitch. Wonderful!!! I will never have to use fusable again! I didn't use stabalizer either. I starched the fabrics good, cut the templates out of stiff, thin cardboard, traced/cut/glued. It didn't move one bit while sewing and the edges stayed down.

I made the blanket stitch smaller and closer than the last attempt. Sharon Schamber said 1.8 x 2.0 but my machine only does .5 increments so I did 2.0 x 2.0.

I have the purple and the green thread that matches the fabric but not the turquoise or orange so I'm just going to do all of the flowers in purple thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the purple looks great. nice block.

is that a dogwood flower?

Thank you. I really like the applique method.

I don't know if another name is Dogwood. It's from EQ6 and I took just this part out of another applique block called Topeka Rose.

The blanket stitch is perfect for this style of applique...it looks great! Satin stitch is more for 'fussy' styles, or Balimore Album style.... you picked the perfect stitch for this project. It looks great!
    Kind Regars,
    MaryAnna

Looks good to me. You are doing a nice job.

I think your applique looks wonderful. I have done needle turn applique, but haven't tried it on the machine yet. That is on my list of to-dos.

I also really like the colors you chose. Thanks for the heads up on the pattern. It is intrigued me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2