In mid September I suddenly got tired of tripping over a large reusable grocery sack of 2.5" blocks. They weren't really pretty like some of the bloggers' patterns I'd seen. I had scoured the internet for ideas on how to use them and as such, had used some. However, they weren't going away anywhere. I decided "I've got to use these up...and keep going until they are all gone!"
(First, a note...please don't post a reply til I get a reply up so that I get all my pictures up.)
So, I began. The first thing I did was take a picture of the bag of blocks and my beginning stages of sewing the 2.5" blocks together. It took hours of chain piecing to get them together into groups of two for the first round.
But, I was dying of boredom. The very first one I did was 10x10 squares—more than 20” finished. I decided to do a QAYG—the problem was, I was out of batting. I made 12 of those squares and put them to the side til I bought batting and went on to other things.
I am posting what I have done with them. My rule ended up being that I needed to use a large number of my 2.5” blocks but I could add to them—either HST or alternating blocks, or other fabrics, etc.
I finally did use them all up except for a few blues that were sewn into a strip.
Do you know the children's song taken from a tv show a long time ago, "This is the song that never ends" ? I felt like that about these blocks...
1. QAYG 10x10 blocks It's a finished quilt!
2. Then I made a bunch of 16 patches and needed to use them up, so I made several with them. First was a 16 patch with wilderness/camping fabric--the fabric had a huge scale print, so I made big blocks.
3. and 4. After making the 16 patch with wilderness, I threw together the 16 patch with sashing and floral border and the 16 patch with pink hearts (think girls)
5. While I was searching for ideas, the Two hearts in Love pattern came up for grabs, and I grabbed it. This is the basis of this quilt, but I adapted it since I wanted it larger. It's huge now!
6. Then another lady came on QB and posted her neat scrappy on point with a jungle print. I borrowed the idea and made a smaller quilt with on point, using my 2.5" squares at the center.
7. I had been browsing through one of my quilting 'how to" books beside my bed and had seen this one and liked it, so I made this one, using the dreaded HST!
8. I still had some 16 patches, so I made this and decided it needed more pizzazz so I added the sashing with the stars. I like it.
To be continued in the post...please wait til I finish for comments....