Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Favorite Pattern

This is a photo of my favorite pattern to piece. It is a variation on the Grandmothers Flower Garden. Takes a while to do with machine piecing but it is worth the extra time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You machine piece it?! How exactly do you do that? I have only heard of it being done by hand!

You use a "Y" seam. Start 1/4" into the seam and Stop at 1/4" from completing the seam and lock your stitches. Then add the next piece and use a 1/4 " seam. With each new piece you add stop 1/4" before the end of the seam and lock your stitches. I usually graph out the quilt. Then I turn the graph paper 1/4 quarter turn and piece the hexagons in rows. These will all be straight seams. I still stop 1/4" before the end of each seam and begin 1/4" into the seam. This give you the room in the seam you need for joining the rows. Once all the rows are pieced and laid out in the correct pattern you should join the rows using the same method. It takes some time but it is lots of fun and very relaxing.

Banned
    that is gorgeous. great work

Very pretty! One of my favorite patterns!

Beautiful Quilt!! Fantastic job!!!!

Foxgait - Thanx for this photo. It reminded me of a quilt that I had stored away. My grandmother made the blocks (she died in 1958). My mother found them and made them into a baby quilt for my daughter. I've saved it for my daughter, Rachel, who may bless me with a grandchild in the next few years. This quilt was machine pieced also.

My own grandmother's flower garden! It's well over 50 years old!
    Name:  Attachment-17588.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  67.4 KB

Foxgait.... how big is your quilt? How many blocks did you make and how much fabric?? I reeeeeeeeeally am interested in making one over the Fall and winter months.... something I can do by hand over my lunch hours at work or when I'm not in the mood to haul out all my sewing stuff onto the dining room table but want to have SOMETHING in my hands to work on!

I love it. It IS gorgeous! Did you top quilt it yourself?

A beautiful quilt with a wonderful combination of colours

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast