Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Movies & Favorite Series >

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Old 08-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Default Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

What are your all-time favorites? And what are you watching now?

I love period pieces. I just watched Dr. Thorne on Amazon. It is set in Victorian England (which I love.) It was a four part mini-series. I highly recommend it. I am also watching Under the Dome. It is interesting so far. I always wonder what sort of drugs Stephen King is taking when he writes some of his crazy stories. I like a good plot twist. I also love forensic science. My lists are not all-inclusive.

Top favorite movies: 1. Forest Gump 2. The Notebook 3. Far and Away 4.The Others 5. The Sixth Sense 6. Gone With the Wind. 7. Intersection. 8. Shrek. 9. The Incredibles 10. Castaway 11. Up. 12. Somewhere in Time. 13. Sleepless in Seattle. 14. Rodger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella (from 1968, with Lesley Ann Warren and Stuart Damon)

Top favorite series: 1. Dark Shadows. 2. Reign. 3. Ugly Betty. 4. Bewitched. 5. I Dream of Genie. 6. True Blood. 7. The Walking Dead. 8. Mad Men. 9. Lie to Me. 10. Merlin. 11. Lost. 12. Little House on the Prarie. 13. Boardwalk Empire. 14. Carnival

My Kindle has a mind of its own. (It was not my intention to put periods after every title.)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Movies: (1) To Kill a Mockingbird, (2) Princess Bride (3) Maltese Falcon (4) African Queen (5) Sleepers (6) Saving Private Ryan (7) Good Will Hunting (8) Shawshank Redemption (9) The Green Mile (10) Casablanca....not in any particular order

Books: (1) To Kill a Mockingbird (2) The Green Mile (3) Harry Potter series (4) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (5) Daddy Long Legs (6) Jennifer Chiaverinni quilt books (Elm Creek series) (7) The Good Earth (8) Stuart Woods books (any) (9) Jonathon Kellerman books (10) Faye Kellerman books...and too many others to mention

TV: Not many...watching "The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross" now. Like shows: Family Guy, King of the Hill, American Dad and Futurama (mostly the "adult themed" cartoons).
Old 08-10-2016, 03:34 PM

Wow Sewingsew. I forgot about Somewhere in time. That was a super movie. Also remember Cinderella coming out just as we got a color tv. Now I am dating myself. One of my favorite movies is Paint your Wagon with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin. So funny as they both sing

No favorite shows but I do watch a lot of History channel
Old 08-10-2016, 05:37 PM

Favorite movies would be the Hallmark movies (since I don't remember the last time I've been to a movie theater!).But there are movies that I've enjoyed (and love their DVDs or showings on TV):The Tom Hanks/Megan Ryan movies; Audrey Hepburn movies; some of the re-makes like Casablanca and The Parent Trap.

As for books, I read all of the Elm Creek series. Enjoyed it immensely but don't care to read anymore if Chiaverini comes out with any more. I've also enjoyed several "quilting" related mystery series.

My favorite TV shows are the old replays of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. Also one that plays at 5 in the morning on Create is Stitch 2 Fit (Hmmm, not sure if that's the proper title...). I also tune in a lot to the EWTN channel.
A lot of my TV "watching" is mostly listening while I cut out, machine piece, or stitch by hand.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:04 PM

I haven't seen The Sound of Music" listed in any of the above. Maybe I am too old!! "West Side Story" is another favorite.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:37 PM

Julie Andrews is awesome. Love Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. African Queen was a great movie. West Side Story with Yule Brenner was another good movie. I enjoy watching Bob Ross and his happy little accidents. I forgot about The Green Mile. That was another favorite. One of the funniest movies I've ever watched was Rocketman. I also really enjoyed the series, King of Queens. Ben Stiller's father cracks me up. Anita, I'll have to check out some of the books you like. I actually have How to Kill a Mockingbird on audio book but I haven't listened to it yet. Cjsews, I used to watch Cinderella with my sister every year when I was a child. It still remains a cherished memory.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:29 AM

I love the Hallmark channel...I find showtime and cinemax have yucky movies..horror, sci Fi..etc. I love the feel good Hallmark movies...I can sit and relax when I watch....lol...
Old 08-11-2016, 03:38 AM

Favorite movies (not in any order), My Favorite Year (and I still think that Peter O'Toole should have got a Oscar), Red River (John Wayne and Montgomery Cliff), Funny Face (Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire), The Lion in Winter (Peter O'Toole and Katheryn Hepburn) and some others, but those 4 I will watch anytime they are shown.

Favorite TV, don't have very many, but NCIS of course, Major Crimes, The Artful Detective and NCIS New Orleans are the most watched.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I just finished watching Star Trek Voyager, and currently watching ST Deep Space Nine and Stargate SG1. If you like an historial history movie, try to find the British movie Belle. I enjoy watching The Martian on HBO.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 AM

What fun reading some of these favorites! Made me think a bit. My top favorite movie of all time is Rodger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella. I love loved Lesley Ann Warren and Stuart Damon together (so romantic). I also love any movie with Kate Hepburn, Maureen O'Hara, Cary Grant, Donald O'Connor or Shirley Temple (loved the dancing, especially tap). I loved all the old movies. Any movie with Tom Hanks, Anne Hathaway or Meryl Streep. Favorite books include the Harry Potter Series, Outlander Series, Maria Bostwick, Daddy Long Legs (because my mother loved this book) and all the Nancy Drew mysteries. TV is a bit more difficult to remember some of them today. I always loved Little House on the Prairie series. I like the HGTV stuff most because I like to watch the process of how something is made or re-made over. And now I'm into Prairie Woman. Also like all the quilting shows and all the Hallmark movies.
Thank you for posting your favorites. Gave me so inspiration to think of my own.