Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Movies & Favorite Series >

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Old 08-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Fiddler on the Roof is my favorite all time movie.

I watch mostly old movies on Turner Classic because they have no commercial interruptions... heavenly. Also love the old black and white Gunsmoke episodes on the Western channel. Waiting not so patiently for the next season of Better Call Saul....
Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 PM

Movies, in no particular order (I'm an 80's kid...)
Stand By Me
Goonies
The Karate Kid
The Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Dead Poet's Society
Carrie
Toy Story
Beauty and the Beast (Disney animated)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949 Disney cartoon)
Misery

TV series:
Game of Thrones (I enjoy the books too)
Band of Brothers (short series)
Orphan Black
Mash
The Twilight Zone
Jim Henson's The Story Teller (wish there had been more episodes)

Books:
Most Stephen King, too many to list favorites
Black Cross by Greg Iles
Lois Duncan books (I'll still pick one up from the library for a quick read)
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 PM

The best movie I ever watched was an old black and white movie called "The Man Who Never Was". I also love "Fern Gully".
Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Love Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Christmas vacation, Rudolf, and It's a Wonderful Life are my favorite Christmas movies. Trading Places, Funny Farm, and The Great Outdoors are all awesome.

Mac, I am very eclectic when it comes to music. I don't care for rap. Like almost everything else. Love Motown.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:58 PM

Gosh, I feel almost outta place... I can't sit and watch mindless comedy...Adam Sandler (all others of his "type") makes my skin crawl. A thoughtful comedy is different when you have to pay attention to catch the wit and humor.

I have to have a mystery or who done it ... someone usually dies and figure out the who, what, when and where. Sports bore me to tears ... overpaid ninnies chasing balls, hitting balls, dunking balls or dodging walls (racing) .

Enjoy most music ... most .... no shrieking electric guitars or a drummer stuck on the high hats. Don't ask me the words though because I make them up as I go ... much to the dismay of my family.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:55 AM

I have Dr Thorne added to my watch list, but haven't watched it yet. I'm watching the Lark Rise to Candle Ford series,I'm on season 2 now and almost finished with it. I also watched Home Fires, but they haven't added to the series and left a cliff hanger ending, hate it when they do that.What did I do before Amazon Prime? Favorite movies "Dances With Wolves,Steel Magnolias, Dirty Dancing and the list goes on and on.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:02 AM

I love the series "Murdock Mysteries" and "Doc Martin".
Old 08-12-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
I haven't seen The Sound of Music" listed in any of the above. Maybe I am too old!! "West Side Story" is another favorite.
I'm with you Sandra, West Side Story is my all time favorite. I saw it at the movies at least 14 times, I was younger then :-). I also loved Godspell, saw that play in Boston at least as many times as West Side Story and own the movie and play it at Easter each year.

At this moment, Brain Dead is my favorite series on TV. We laugh out heads off at the very clever opening where a singer give you the highlights of previous episodes.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:48 AM

In an earlier post I mentioned that West Side Story had Yule Brynner in it. That was actually West World I was thinking of. Steven Spielberg is supposed to be re-making West Side Story. I like Natalie Wood movies. This House is Condemned with Robert Redford and Splendor in the Grass with Warren Beatty are two of her movies that I liked a lot. Westworld has been re-made into a series. It is set to be released in October on HBO. Anthony Hopkins is in it.

Sleepy Hollow, I've always been a fan of the Twilight zone. I love animation too! I have all of the Toy Story movies.

Some of the greatest movies ever made were The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Avatar. James Cameron is making four more Avatar sequels. They are being released at Christmas 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2023.

Betty, I really liked Dances WithWolves too. Kevin Costner was smoking hot!
Old 08-12-2016, 04:57 PM

My all time favorite movie is Driving Miss Daisy. I loved Jessica Tandy. Also liked Out of Africa with Meryl Streep.

My favorite book is the Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear. The whole series is fabulous. I also love anything by Sandra Dallas and Jane Kirkpatrick.

As to television I loved Downton Abbey. Now watching Father Brown and Midwives. British television seems to be more interesting to me, even though I sometimes have trouble understanding the dialogue. I used to enjoy NCIS, but when Ziva left I lost interest. Many of the others are too lightweight or too dark for me.