Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Movies & Favorite Series >

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I loved the movie Out of Africa, Gone with the Wind, Insurgent, Allegient, Contact, all of the Love Come Softly Movie Series, The Sarah Plain and Tall movie series, and many drama and certain particular Science Fiction Movies, and I watch The Song of Burnadette over and over in about three different versions. I also like movies such as Daisies In December, Pride and Prejudiced, most of the Holocaust type movies (thought sad) but like to hear their stories. Well, you get the idea.

For series 24, Wayward Pines, Colony, and the HGTV shows, but cannot stand "Love It or List It." lol....or the "Property Brothers" who always lie to them. lol....I like watching the Tiny Houses. I like the Animal shows like "Who Gets the Dog" etc. I also like Flashpoint and Cops Reloaded, and Alaska State Troupers. An older show we love is Hazel.

Presently watching the Olympics.

I have most of the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and books left to me by my mother about the Amish Lives. Other devotional books, and some still to be read. Best of all is my bible (both actual and online).
Old 08-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I am a Divergent series fan also. I loved Kurt Russell in Captain Ron and also Overboard. I also like Isaac Asimov movies like IRobot, Bicentennial Man, and Artificial Intelligence.
Yes to Isaac Asimov! How about Ray Bradburys Blade Runner. I have a running list of well over three hundred favorite movies. Right now The Painted Veil is both my favorite book and movie.

Girl with a Pearl Earring
The Summer House starring Jeanne Moreau and book
Love Song for Bobby Long
The Help
The Secret Life of Bees
Shirley Valentine
Delores Claiborne and book
Gosford Park
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Excalibur

Favorite all time TV show: Twilight Zone

Current favorite book: Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

I love to see every ones lists. Fun to see what everybody else likes.
peace
Old 08-13-2016, 07:28 PM

JuneBillie, I loved Sarah Plain and Tall too. Also loved Anne of Green Gables too.

Ube, Love Lisa See. Also Delores Claiborne ans Misery. I'm a huge Kathy Bates fan.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
JuneBillie, I loved Sarah Plain and Tall too. Also loved Anne of Green Gables too.

Ube, Love Lisa See. Also Delores Claiborne ans Misery. I'm a huge Kathy Bates fan.

Agree to all! I just watched Misery yesterday. I would say I have watched Delores well over 100 times. I put it on while in my sewing room.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:10 AM

Ube, Have you seen American Horror Story? Kathy Bates is awesome in that.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

my favorite movie is Lion King. i saw it 16 times in the theatre and about 200 times at home, along with Aladdin. That was when my son was about 3--4. Love the Wizard of Oz. I loved the Goonies, but still can't get my dh to watch it.
books, Stuart Woods, Randy Wayne Write books too.
I like C/I channel and real life mysteries, and Jail, and anything like that.
Music, i like modern country and pop. I hate rap and acid rock.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:55 AM

Pride and prejudice,sense and sensibility, all of Jane Austen's books and the ones made into movies, the count of Monte cristo, gone with the wind and Scarlet, PS I love you, TV. series, Ballykissangle, Monaech of the Glen, MI5, the Grafters, Downton Abbey, Outlander, (have the books but not the DVDs on this one) Oliver's travlers, and many others, I like BBC America and PBS, I have 8 book shelves of British DVDs and really enjoy them, also have about 50 quilting DVDs, and one of my best buys was The featherweight 221 and I, both the book and DVD, so I can fix and care for my girls on my own!!
Old 08-14-2016, 01:41 PM

dc89

"As to television I loved Downton Abbey. Now watching Father Brown and Midwives. British television seems to be more interesting to me, even though I sometimes have trouble understanding the dialogue."

I have trouble with accents. I turn on the CC captioned part on my TV, Works great and I don't miss anything.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

I love stories about human intrest. I just finished watching the whole series of "60 Days In'. It's about a group of people who volunteered to go to jail for 60 days to tell the officials what was wrong with the jail. Very interesting. the new season starts tonight.
I also love My 600 lb Life. I watch before dinner, and I eat half of what I normally would. My heart really goes out to these people.
My all time FAVORITE is, "My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding". I LOVE the gaudy gowns and their life stories. I learn how others live, and their cultural differences.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:59 AM

Lynnie, I have watched "My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding" and also "Toddlers and Tiaras" with my daughter. Some of their lives fascinate me. I'm going to watch "60Days In." That sounds like something that would interest me too.

I've seen "My 600 Pound Life." I feel very sad for anyone who has to struggle with that magnitude of a weight problem. I have had heavier friends tell me some of their issues and I don't think the average person realizes the problems a very large person is faced with. Something as simple as walking down the aisle of a store and it not being wide enough, or finding a seat to sit at in a restaurant or theater, can be traumatic. I had one friend who had to pay for two seats on an airplane. Someone who is very large also gets winded fast and has trouble with mobility. They are at risk for a multitude of diseases. A person who is very large also has problems with their skin. Trapped moisture can propagate sores that have trouble healing and lead to infection. I can't even imagine how defeated I would feel to know I needed to lose such a large amount of weight. Also, people can be so cruel! As sad as it is to admit, when I watch these types of shows, I feel more like my own life is manageable.