Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Movies & Favorite Series >

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Favorite Movies & Favorite Series

Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 AM

Best Movie (western category): The Cowboys. Best TV series (Sci-Fi): Stargate SG-1. Worse thing to watch in any category: ANYTHING with lawyers!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 AM

ManiacQuilter I love all the Star Trek Series and movies, except for the last one. I saw that at the drive-in 2 weeks ago and thought they focused more on the action than the plot.

Joanie2, You and I have a lot of similar tastes. I love pioneer stories. Little House almost always made me cry at the end. In my family, everyone waits to see if I cry at the end of a movie because it's predictable. Then they laugh at me.

Joanie, my son was on HGTV. He was on "Isn't That Clever," featuring his lighthouse paintings. That was 10 years ago. Remember Danny Bonaduce from "The Partridge Family?" His sister Celia was the director and I think producer for it. I think it's called "Crafters Coast to Coast" now. Celia also directed "The Jefferson's" and a popular Nicklelodeon show called "Double Dare." One of the Carol Burnett dancers was the assistant director. They filmed it in his house. I drove from North Carolina to Maine to be there for the taping.

One of the things I love about old movies is seeing how things once were, like the clothes and the cars, the hairstyles and the buildings, etc. I reaaly like a lot of the old technicolor movies. In my family, we used to watch Mystery Science Theater. Anybody remember watching that?
Old 08-11-2016, 09:48 AM

I love sports.....enjoying the Olympics right now.....waiting for football season to start.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

favorite movies - Demolition Man / Independence Day/ James Bond movies/ Elvis movies/ time travel movies-Trancers or Sliders etc/ from the black and white era I love the Thin Man movies and anything Doris Day / Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin/ Bing Crosby and Bob Hope / Laurel and Hardy/ I love the Beach movies with Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalone - one I taped along time ago is How to Stuff a Wild Bikini / and Beach Blanket Bingo plus more.
I also like Oklahoma / 7 Brides for 7 Brothers - this was made into a series in the 80's ? and I loved it too. It had Bobby Sherman in it if anyone remembers him. He was a popular singer at the time.

favorite series - anything Star Trek to SG1/Atlantis / cop shows like NCIS/all Law and Order shows/Castle / Bones / Criminal Minds etc./ Bewitched/ Relic Hunter/ Brisco County Jr/

My all time favorite is Ice Skating. I started taping all the shows in 1989 and until the ISU refused to allow it to be shown in the states I had taped all of them. but now they are allowing us to see them again after a couple of years of not getting them. so I will be taping them again. I enjoy watching diff one's careers along the way.

I'm also a football fan. tho I'm not fanatical about it. I do like to watch the NFL but not much for college as the rules are a bit diff from NFL I don't follow any one team but I do favor the older teams as opposed to the newer ones created a few years back like the Jaguars.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:26 AM

I think "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" has to be my favorite book ever. I've re-read it so many times. A recent favorite is Dean Koontz's "The City" which kind of reminded me of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" in some ways, except with Dean Koontz's time travel/spirit type twist to the story. And I love Mary Higgins Clark's books, even though they're a tad predictable.

My favorite movies are nothing like what's been listed! One of my favorites is Deathproof (I think that's its name.). It has Kurt Russell in it. Those girls really give him what he deserves. I also really liked the Divergent series of books and movies. And I love to watch the ID channel with all the forensic shows, as well as things like the Great British Bake-Off and Pawn Stars. I have very eclectic taste.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Bobby Sherman was the stuff my dreams were made of. Love Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds and the old Jerry Lewis movies. I always thought Annette Funicello was beautiful. I remember her as an original Mouseketeer.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:34 AM

I am a Divergent series fan also. I loved Kurt Russell in Captain Ron and also Overboard. I also like Isaac Asimov movies like IRobot, Bicentennial Man, and Artificial Intelligence.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:52 PM

I can't name my favorite movies and books since they keep changing. But I guess if I were to pick a favorite book it would be, "Gone With the Wind". I can't pick up the book without reading some of it. Still can't say what my favorite movie would be. My favorite TV series, #1 is "Perry Mason", it if is on, I will watch it. #2 is "Murder, She Wrote". And I love almost all things Sherlock Holmes. The TV shows, the movies, the books - I love the modern versions as well as the early ones. Of course I think Basil Rathbone was the best, but Benedict Cumberbatch is also outstanding. I even like Robert Downey, Jr.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 PM
mac

Gosh, there are so many.

Favorite movies: Seems Like Old Times (Chevy Chase and Goldie Hahn), Lieberstram (sp?) old movie mystery, I just saw a moving on The Movie Channel, a French movie with subtitles, called Madame De, with Charles Boyer, it was so good. Mainly I like comedies, spooky movies (no gross or mad-slasher movies) mysteries. Loved the Harry Potter movies.

TV shows: All in the Family, Grimm, a new show called, Brain Dead (that show is a hoot), PBS murder mysteries, English comedy shows and I love watching America's Test Kitchen, although I don't know what they are going to do with show since they got rid of Christopher Kimball (that's sad)

Books: mainly mysteries, some paranormal ghostly books, comedies. Used to listen to them on CDs while sewing, now I read them on Kindle or Nook.

Music: I am really eclectic with that, almost anything.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Movies: Fiddler on the Roof, Christmas Vacation and most science fiction.
Series: Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch, Home Fires, Poldark, any PBS Masterpiece, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul. Most all the Netflix and Amazon original series, anything on Acorn TV (all BBC shows and series) 30 Degrees in February, Fortitude, and many more not on regular tv.
Books: I reread these a lot. The Good Earth, The Egg and I, The Camerons, Ladies of Missalonghi, and The Jungle. Harry Potter series. I like the Agent Pendergast books by Preston and Child, lots of Sy Fy. I just read a book called The Bees by Laline Paull and it is excellent. If you like to be scared, read The Beast by Peter Benchely ( he wrote Jaws)