Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Quilt Shop Purchase :-)

So I got the quilting bug and found all of you here. Learned that LQS wasn't a particular store that just wasen't in my neck of the woods. :D and discovered that a town 30 from me was a super awsome place to shop. They have a Handcocks, Joanans, a Mills End fabric outlet, Crafts direct(lots of different craft supplies but also a higher end fabric dept) AND a Quilt Shop.

Well I just about fell over and fainted the first time I visted the LQS. First, at all the fabric WOW, then with sticker shock!!!! I left feeling quite overwhelmed and out of my league. I'm still building my stash by raiding clearance bins LOL. I went back a second time knowing I coulden't buy but wanted to pet the fabric LOL. Start to see if I could feel what "good" fabric was so I could reconize "bad" fabric. Second visit was much less overwhelming.

Well I am working on making a pieced train quilt for my dad and have been looking fabrics to make the cars out of. I wanted to try to find somthing more than just plain colors. Tone on Tones that diden't have a pattern. No box cars with florals! LOL. Since I needed such small amounts(<1/8yd) I decided to check out the LQS. So here's my haul. LOL it only took 3 visits to finely buy somthing. :-D

PS. Thanks to everyone who is helping me out with this project and sharing "train" scraps with me. Hopefully this will make a nice naping quilt for my dad. His parkinson's meds make him sleepy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Welcome to the FFA (Fabric Fondlers Anonymous) We are a large group and enjoy company.
    Your fabric choices are great.

Very nice colors. They all go well together. :thumbup:

I love mill ends. I have to drive across the state to go. Try to stop when ever we are visiting relatives. I have nice LQS but it is expensive and not as much choice.

Blog Entries
    Made me laugh when you said you had to "pet" the fabric. I can relate.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I have to pet my fabric almost as much as my cats!

Quote Originally Posted by PegD
    Made me laugh when you said you had to "pet" the fabric. I can relate.
    I pet my fabric choices too. same as when i shop for clothes. if it doesnt feel nice i wont like it or wear it

That is exactly what happened to me the first time I found a true quilt shop! I was so overwhelmed I didn't know where to start or to stop. Ended up buying a thimble and one measly magazine! I try to make lists of present and future projects before I know I will be going now so I can concentrate better. It is so fun though...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
    Welcome to the FFA (Fabric Fondlers Anonymous) We are a large group and enjoy company.
    Your fabric choices are great.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Yepper!!! I'm also a member!!! Just can't get enough of petting those lovely fabs!!! :thumbup: Love your fabric choices. They will make great train cars. Be sure to post a pic when you finish it -- or post pics of your progress!! Not only do we love to pet fabrics; we just love to look, too!!!! :thumbup:

I know what town you are talking about and love to go there, it is also about 30 miles away from me, I leave east of there. I love going to the quilt shop just to look and get ideas, too expensive for me in my beginning stages. I am very interested in seeing your train quilt when you are done. keep us posted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast