Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: nap mat covers for "school"

My 3-year-old grandson starts pre-school on Wednesday. My daughter was told to get a kind-sized pillowcase to cover the sleep mat and have a blanket small enough to go in his backpack. The blanket comes home every day and the mat cover comes home on Friday.

I started with the green one - flannel for the mat cover using the standard "burrito" pillowcase pattern. Fleece for the blanket - on sale, easy peasy. Green because it's his favorite color. Pillowcase tutorial: http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/...-tutorial.html

For the fleece blanket I turned down the top a couple of inches and zigzaged it down (monogrammed his name on there) and fringed the other three sides.

He was happy, happy, happy with it. Until .. we went to Wal-mart to get some Wonder Under and there in the bolts next to that was ... fire fabric. Bright, stiff-cheap-cotton, fire fabric. "Grammy! THAT'S the one! I would like THAT one, please!" Never could resist a child with good manners so ... here we are. Napping ensemble Grammy Style and Boy Style.

FLAME QUILT
    Pattern: For the flame fabric I used a pattern I've used for Quilts for Kids. This is a baby sized quilts. I got 1 yard of each fabric rather than what the pattern called for. This made the top and the backing. Had to get a bit creative with the backing, but it worked. I did not put batting in - wanted it to fold small enough to fit in his backpack.

Quilting: I quilted diagonals through the flame blocks - not as much as I'd do for batting, but should be enough to hold the fabric together when washed.

Binding: backing brought around to the front.

You can get the pattern at quiltsforkids.com. Go to How to Help at the top and you can download several patterns.

He's showing off a tape measure. Loves tape measures.
    Name:  Attachment-241473.jpe
Views: 150
Size:  61.8 KB

same boy as my avatar - a year older
    Name:  Attachment-241474.jpe
Views: 166
Size:  74.2 KB

I don't think it glows in the dark, but maybe should check to be sure.
    Name:  Attachment-241478.jpe
Views: 130
Size:  100.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    aw, their so cute. but, i don't know about napping with the second one. lol he looks so happy!!! i'd say you've done your job well.

Blog Entries
    LOL...that is the same fabric I bought for my brother's quilt. He looks so happy!!

I actually told him that if he lays down and starts yelling, "Fire, fire!" then that "blankie" probably won't be able to go to school.

He is very cute, and I love both blankies!

Blog Entries
    all are adorable, especially your grandson. good job.

Power Poster
    They are just too cute.

Don't you wish every child had a grandmother who loves them
    that much.

A few years back a friend had a grand child who was devastated because her favorite lovey had gotten left behind somewhere. Her favorite part of that stuffed animal was the tag, of course. So her grandmother (my friend) sat her in her sewing room and had her feel all her ribbons until she found one that matched the feel of the lost lovey's tag. Then she took a new toy and lovingly remade it until this best-feeling tab was attached. At the time I thought, well, that's nice, but REALLY? Isn't it a bit ridiculous, too? Well... fast forward a few years. BG - before grandkids - I probably would have thought, "I've already MADE you a napping set - when your mother could have bought a pillowcase and called it good - and you want that AWFUL flame stuff?????" Now, it's more like: Well, OF COURSE, Precious Boy, if you want fire, then fire you'll have. We're making memories after all! :)

np3
    Blog Entries
    adorable!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast