Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a toddler nap mat

I need the help of all you fantastic quilters.....please!!!! I have a grandson that goes to daycare everyday. He has just been moved up to the toddler room and is required to now sleep on a little cot. Mom & dad need to bring in a cover for that little cot.
    THe cot's size is 42" x 21 1/2". I want to make the cover but I cannot come up with how to do it. It needs to be fitted like a sheet somehow . I found the cutest panel of a large frog that says "Welcome to my pad" and its coordinating fabrics. The main panel is 18 1/2 by 24. I've added pictures so you can get an idea of what I am using.
    I want it to have the comfort of some batting and backing just like a quilt but it needs to fit over the frame of this cot. Any ideas of where to start? I am not good at winging things. I need to follow a pattern or instructions of some kind.
    Thanks in advance for our help
    Debbie
    Attached Images Attached Images

can't help, but omg-that is cute!!!

Blog Entries
    Does that mean it has to have elastic so it's like a fitted sheet? Or can it have straps that tie it on or snap on?
    Does that help? I don't see why u can't make a reg quiltWith ties on it then u could tie it on the cot and use them to tie up the quilt??

saf
    Sorry but I can't picture what you mean - does the cot have any mattress? Love the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by saf
    Sorry but I can't picture what you mean - does the cot have any mattress? Love the fabric.
    Yes there is a little thin mattress on it laying on top of like a spring attached to aluminum tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    Does that mean it has to have elastic so it's like a fitted sheet? Or can it have straps that tie it on or snap on?
    Does that help? I don't see why u can't make a reg quiltWith ties on it then u could tie it on the cot and use them to tie up the quilt??
    THat's a great idea. I was going along the lines of making pockets on both ends but not knowing how ot go about it. The ties though would work. Thank you

i really love the fabric...cant wait to see what you come up with

Love the frogs where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by coastienest
    THat's a great idea. I was going along the lines of making pockets on both ends but not knowing how ot go about it. The ties though would work. Thank you
    Or you could make a quilt just bigger than the frame and then add some fabric straps (2 on each side) and then sew some velcro onto them and then they could velcro under the frame of the cot.

At me GDs preschool, they have sheets that just fit the top of their cots with elastic on the corners that go over the feet. The sheets stay on while the little ones nap and come off easily after nap time. Then they are folded and put into a plastic bag with the child's name.

Looks like a great system to me. I would make certain that whatever you do is easy to handle.

DJ
    Are there sheets you can buy that size? If so, you could get one and just attach your quilt to it leaving the ends loose to fit over the mattress.

I would attach elastic to the bottom quarter of the quilt. Measure the distance from 1 end to the other. Cut the elastic to 2/3 of the distance. Just pin it on stretched.

I don't know if your quilt will be too heavy to do this with but.....To make a fitted sheet, you cut a square out of each corner; sew up the seam in each corner (they will go down the sidse of the mattress); fold the squares into 4 triangles and sew 1 in each corner. You now have a fitted sheet with corners than will slide under the mattress. Hope this is clear.

Darling fabric!!

Power Poster
    I think I would just make the quilt the size of the mattress 42 X 22? If you put an elastic edge, the thin mattress will fold up. You could ask the staff what they perfer because they may not want to fuss with putting it on the mattress. Do the kids make up their little beds or do the staff? Perhaps a sleeping bag style to crawl into would be an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee G
    I don't know if your quilt will be too heavy to do this with but.....To make a fitted sheet, you cut a square out of each corner; sew up the seam in each corner (they will go down the sidse of the mattress); fold the squares into 4 triangles and sew 1 in each corner. You now have a fitted sheet with corners than will slide under the mattress. Hope this is clear.
    That sounds neat! :thumbup:

See if this link will help - it's for making crib sheets:

http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/...ed-sheets.html

Blog Entries
    If the mattress is really thin you could...make a quilt the size of the matress, maybe a wee bit bigger,attach large triangles of fabric to each corner [almost like an old fashioned photo corner holder thingy), on the back to hold it in place so it doesn't move around . That way if the cot ceases to be used the corners could be removed and he could still have his quilt.

Somewhere online I saw a pattern for kids that was folded in half over them similar to a sleeping bag and had a little pillow atatched, maybe a tille pillow might be nice, if you attach it maybe on straps, it would all stay together, I think that with many small children in one place things can get pretty crazy, I think you need easy to use .

I made some of those for my GS. Just make it like a child's quilt, but put elastic in the four corners to hold it on the cot. It is easier than it sounds.

Thanks so much to all who had an idea for me. I was at my LQS today and she suggested making a pocket on both ends to slide the pad into. I think I'll play with the ideas for a bit and see what I come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by copehome
    See if this link will help - it's for making crib sheets:

http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/...ed-sheets.html
    I checked this out and love the idea of making sheets too. I could use this idea with the quilt but think I'll make lots of different sheets for his crib at home. This opened up tons of ideas running through my head on different themes. Yankees, dinosaurs, bugs and all kinds of things he loves. Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries
    i made those sheets on the link last month..turned out great,and fit the crib mattress. the pictures are here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114015-1.htm

My grandson has 2 sets at school, 1 in case of an "accident".
    the sheet comes home with jack every friday, to be washed.

he also keep a fleece blanket there too..

I just love your fabric, did you get it on line? Sorry, can't help with the cover, but I'm sure your grandson is gonna be the envy of all the other children!!!

I agree with this idea. I just love the fabric! How cute is that!

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by coastienest
    I need the help of all you fantastic quilters.....please!!!! I have a grandson that goes to daycare everyday. He has just been moved up to the toddler room and is required to now sleep on a little cot. Mom & dad need to bring in a cover for that little cot.
    THe cot's size is 42" x 21 1/2". I want to make the cover but I cannot come up with how to do it. It needs to be fitted like a sheet somehow . I found the cutest panel of a large frog that says "Welcome to my pad" and its coordinating fabrics. The main panel is 18 1/2 by 24. I've added pictures so you can get an idea of what I am using.
    I want it to have the comfort of some batting and backing just like a quilt but it needs to fit over the frame of this cot. Any ideas of where to start? I am not good at winging things. I need to follow a pattern or instructions of some kind.
    Thanks in advance for our help
    Debbie
    That is DARLING fabric - where'd you get it?? :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast