Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Now I'm Just Being Silly

I'd never worked up the guts to test any of the embroidery stitches on my (Nanna's) old Bernina Record 530-2. It has them available, staring me in the face every time I use the machine, but I wasn't confident in my ability to make it... y'know... work.

I took her in recently for a general tune-up at my LQS and the technician tested out all of the stitches as part of the process. He showed me how I would need to set all of the switches to make the magic happen and warned me not to mess with one in particular because the spring was too stiff to... well, yeah. No replacement parts for this old lady.

Because I had to finish up a few pet rat hammocks for a friend of mine, I decided to be silly and test out an embroidery stitch around the outside of the hammock. Normally I would just straight stitch around to close the opening made when I flip it inside-out. I think it turned out pretty! The stitch is shorter and denser in the beginning where I was trying to figure out a few settings, and also where the hammock jumps from two layers to four in closing the opening.

Sure it's going to get chewed on eventually, but that's fine! It was a fun practice.

This is a flat hammock made with flannel and a fleece back. Grommets let it hang for critters to snooze in.
    Name:  Attachment-190991.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  56.3 KB

Close-up of the embroidery stitch. I made it slightly looser because it's going to get chewed on anyway and was taking a while.
    Name:  Attachment-190992.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  48.7 KB

An example of a hammock in action. I made this one for the same person about a year ago.
    Name:  Attachment-190993.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  44.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Play some more!

I hope to! Not exactly sure with what yet, since I've never had a need to embroider anything before, but I'm sure I'll find something to 'embellish'. ;)

That is great! It is fun to play with the stitches sometimes. :) I love your little hammocks!!! Those are too cute.

Blog Entries
    oh how sweet!!!

Thank you for showing us the hammock in action. I couldn't picture it in my mind. Absolutely adorable! I also have some of that same flannel.

quilting is a great gift for everyone, even the smallest of furbabies

What a cool idea. I need to try that. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Cute!

I have used fancy stitches to finish the binding on a baby quilt. It really added a nice little touch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast