Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Orca bay mystery picture thread >

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by sklayne View Post
And why do we need paper to do this string quilt?
When making a string block you need paper to keep it straight and so your strips don't stretch as you sew each strip onto the others.
Here's a a good picture tutorial for reference: http://www.filminthefridge.com/2009/...pieced-method/
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Sklayne: I have asked myself the same question. I am just sewing strips together and cutting out the block. There is some waste but I can do four or five at a time this way. I will be interested to see what others say.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sklayne View Post
And why do we need paper to do this string quilt?
You can do them several ways, just play and find the way that works for you. I did use a telephone book for these small blocks, but I have also done them like EmmaS. Last year, I made some of the neutral string blocks for the RRCB with tubes.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM

I am going to fall a little behind as Christmas gets closer. I have to finish making gifts and my wonderful sister (that I havent seen since Feb 2010) is coming up to visit us!! Needless to say, I dont think I will be getting much sewing done when shes here... she's not a sewer (gasp....) I will work on her about that lol

Here is my group of QST from last week
Attached Thumbnails photo-8-.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
I am going to fall a little behind as Christmas gets closer. I have to finish making gifts and my wonderful sister (that I havent seen since Feb 2010) is coming up to visit us!! Needless to say, I dont think I will be getting much sewing done when shes here... she's not a sewer (gasp....) I will work on her about that lol

Here is my group of QST from last week
There is no hurry in doing the quilt Brooke! I did not finish RRCB until the end of January last year. I'm also expecting my son, his wife and 3 children over Christmas, so I know I will get behind as well. That is ok, we WILL get it done! I will try to do a few of the segments each week so I have an idea of what to do when I finally get back into it. I'll be through with both Clue 1 and 2 today. Yeah!
Old 12-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
Well, I didn't get much else done this weekend but........ 226 done!! (2 extra just cause) I lucked out and had the right size die for my GO! making the cutting part go pretty quick. I wouldn't really recommend doing these in 3 days but I have too much to do this coming week and weekend that by next week with part 2 also up that I'd feel too far in the weeds and give up before I start. I can definitely wait patiently for part 2 now. Picture also gives a sneak peek at my colors.

i am not doing the mystery, but am following along, and anious to see everyone's progress, and especially this one, as I love the colors
Old 12-03-2011, 03:16 PM

The ink in the phone book is like newspaper print. You have to age it at least three weeks in order for the ink to be fast. I think my phone book I am going to use is years old.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Jan, these are really small blocks, and I think it would be hard to piece the 1", 1.25", 1.5" small pieces together without the stabilization of some type of backing. I found I used some washable school glue across the middle of the paper to hold the first piece in place. The fabric was kind of squirmy because the pieces are so small. I found 2" strips were just too big to look good on this size blocks (just my opinion). I used the scribble pad paper from the $ Store, and just cut the paper to size with a rotary cutter I keep for paper.
I cut mine from the tele book, with an xActo blade along the edge of the 3.5" square ruler, the cool thing about using the tele book = you already have 2 square corners, AND the pages are numbered so you know how many blocks you have!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
I cut mine from the tele book, with an xActo blade along the edge of the 3.5" square ruler, the cool thing about using the tele book = you already have 2 square corners, AND the pages are numbered so you know how many blocks you have!
Good idea. I am going to try it. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I am ready for step 4.
Attached Thumbnails 100_0395.jpg   100_0390.jpg   100_0387.jpg