Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Peacocky enough?

Peacocky enough?

I am working on a set of 3 commissioned quilts - which I hope are my first and last commission quilts. The first one is done and was a hit - for a son in the Army. (Pics below)

THEN she wanted one for each of her two other adult kids. One to have purples and the other to be earth tones - featuring rust.

Once I started the "purple" one I got a message to not start the rust one - that one has mentioned that peacock colors are a favorite so can that one have peacock colors. (Of course, I've already collected the fabrics for the earth tone one!)

So - you are seeing pics of the Purple one, but I'm thinking that one can Magic-Chango become ... PEACOCK colors! What do you think? Then I just need to figure out what else I have that's purple.

I've never made a quilt that anyone paid me for. From now on I'll sell things I've already made - but no more "commissioned" products!

The batik fabrics are from Connecting Threads - a bundle of 24 fat quarters for around $40 if I remember it right. The pattern is a Turning 12. The backing is from Hancock Fabrics (not Hancock of Paducah - just plain Hancock!)

NOTE _ the lady who asked for these quilts is a friend and co-worker. I have taught all 3 of these "kids". When asked previously if I'd sell a quilt I've always said, "Sorry, you can't afford me!" with a smile. I'm making these for a ridiculously low price, but ... not again!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    So many quilts, so little time.

I definitely think the quilt in the first two pictures would work as being peacock colors.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    They are beautiful!
    Resolve to be thyself, and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. Mathew Arnold 'Self-Dependence' 1822-1888

To me, peacock colors are jewel tone blues, greens, purples... so I'd definitely say that this could qualify as peacock-inspired! Lovely quilts.

I agree the first quilt looks peacocky to me. I have given alot, ok, most of my quilts away and have a Sis - in - law and her Dad, after her getting a comforter and two quilts, the Dad only one, had the nerve to want me to make quilts with their color choices. Her Dad has offered me money, she has not. I won't take money because they are in charge and would take the fun out of it for me. I have decided to stop giving them away and just keep them. Sis in law has hers put away and just wants to collect them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    nice job....

I've always given them away also - and love doing that. But .. this is an expensive hobby! So the thought was if I just got enough from a sale to pay for more fabric then I had my fun and got some cash, too. But ... not so much fun. I'm so nervous that my vision won't match hers. Also nervous about my workmanship. Not fun. They are certainly good enough to be given away! AND if I go with selling only completed projects people can see what they are getting.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Beautiful quilts. I think the first two could be peacock colors.
    No matter how tough life is, it sure beats the alternative.

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...26548a24e6.png

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I definitely think the quilt in the first two pictures would work as being peacock colors.
    I agree 100%! I think it fits that bill perfectly! Plus, it's beautiful! As is the earth-toned one! Great job on both of these!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I know what you mean about making things for the "kid" you've taught. I made wedding cakes up until this year. Hopefully, no more. Anywhoo, when I have done one for a child that was a former student, I always gave them a ridiculously low price. (Probably ended up costing me.) The last one I made was definitely at a loss -- supplies and ingredients have risen in price so much.

Your quilts are gorgeous. The lady needs to be told that you had already shopped for fabrics for the third quilt before she changed her mind. Good luck and keep us posted.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast