Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pictures of Quilt and little girl >

Pictures of Quilt and little girl

Pictures of Quilt and little girl

Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Bless her heart. What a beautiful quilt and doesn't it make you feel good she loves it!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 PM

WOW! I am just overwhelmed by the love and encouragement you all have expressed.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)
Glad Grams
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 PM

Such a beautiful & thoughtful thing
to make this lovely quilt, for this girl.
You can see in her facial expression
that she is very proud of it!! God Bless You.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 PM

Thank you for being interested in the limited life of Tulla who charms just about everyone - she allows close to her.

I will try to explain a bit about communicating with Tulla. She is forced to get her points across using the only parts of her body over which she has control.

Watching her eyes and her mouth is the essential part.

She loves to watch videos, if we forgot to put one on for her, she would make a noise, seek eye contact and then look quickly at the stack of videos. When asked if she wanted to watch a video - a smile. Point made! Communication half done. Then there was the choice of "which" one, if you held up the wrong one - out came the tongue which means "no". Point made!

Mouth
Smile = yes
Tongue out = no
Tongue back and forth over lips = unsure, maybe

Eyes point to
what she wants,
whom she is addressing
what the problem is

Noises accompied by facial expressions are easy to read...
If her both arms kind of spasm up at the same time, depending on the facial expression - something is either very wrong or absolutely wonderful

Her mother is a professional at reading her and they can actually argue with each other. It is a wonder to watch and a priviledge from God to be a part of. We learn more about love with each visit.

Tulla is especially sensitive to being stared at in public or being the center of attention of strangers in a group. She is somehow able to read "the spirit" of people and decides who she lets-in and who she shuts out of her world. Believe me, if you are being shut out the message is clear!!! I have seen it myself when someone patronizes her. WHAM - they no longer exist!

Love
Glad Grams

Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 AM

You can tell you made her very happy, may she always treasure it. Its always nice to know that your quilt is appreciated since you spent so much time making it.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Thank you GladGram for bringing Tulle into our lives. Special people like Tulle have a special mission from God -- and that is to teach everyone of us how to love and how to give. You, too, are a special person. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Thank you GladGram for bringing Tulle into our lives. Special people like Tulle have a special mission from God -- and that is to teach everyone of us how to love and how to give. You, too, are a special person. Thanks again.
What a lovely thing to say GailG, thank you so very much. I too believe that people like Tulla who bear a burden we cannot really comprehend are opportunities God uses to teach us many things. This can be a cruel and superficial world we live in. Burden bearers are indeed very special and when we take the time to get to know them we are changed in areas of ourselves we may not realize existed. Humility and compassion are important aspects of true love.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:36 AM

One more thought I forgot to mention on my last post. I think it's amazing how those around Tulle have learned her "language." She certainly is an amazing woman. Her caretakers are such remarkable people.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 AM

Learning language... We have a grandson who was diagnosed with a form of Autism called PDD-NOS. We are learning his language too.

Although he speaks clearly he has processing problems and a bit of a delay in comprehension so he can be a hint of a second behind in a conversation. Makes a huge difference.

He also has sensory problems that he is unable to articulate so we need to read his behavior to decipher the problem. I have been introduced to a whole new world, the world of the neurologically atypical person. It is fascinating and has taught me a great deal about how to read people who I may have thought were just "weird."

Who knows what God has up His sleeve...
Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 AM

What a beautiful smile. It is just amazing how
people with handicaps develop ways to communicate.
Thanks for sharing her with us! :D