Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   *crry* Help please!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/%2Acrry%2A-help-please-t92685.html)

deema 01-22-2011 04:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This quilt was made with FQ's...as such, I didn't wash them. Big mistake. I washed it and threw it in the dryer before bed last night. I used extra low heat, so come this morning, it hadn't dried completely. I think from sitting, damp, over night in the dryer, it ran, because it looked perfect when I pulled it out of the washer and checked it out. I pulled it out of the dryer and hung it up so I don't make it worse by setting it in. Please help...QUICK! This quilt is for my Grandmother. I just finished it last night and was planning to give it to her this afternoon when we (four generations including my children) get together for lunch and Granny is going through all of her fabric, yarns and crochet cottons to give to us (me and Mom).

Nancy S. 01-22-2011 04:42 AM

There is a product called bleed-out it is sold in the same location as rit-dye. Sorry no home remedy.Good Lucky. By the way Beautiful quilt she will love it.

deema 01-22-2011 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy S.
There is a product called bleed-out it is sold in the same location as rit-dye. Sorry no home remedy.Good Lucky. By the way Beautiful quilt she will love it.

*sigh* That's what I was afraid of. Thank you, I'll see if I can't track this stuff down. Maybe they'll have some at my LQS...?

thequiltmama 01-22-2011 04:49 AM

TRY THE "TIDE TO GO" AND RUB LIKE CRAZY WITH THE STICK. I don't know if it will work but it has worked on so many other things in my house. good luck :-)

dakotamaid 01-22-2011 04:56 AM

Throw it back in the washing machine with a color catcher, rewash and than dry. If you dried it on low heat it may not have set. But do that before anything else. Once you start with other things you are setting it harder. This advice comes from a fabric expert I know. (Not me, she is my go to person!)

Edit: The Bleedout might be the trick also but I would try just a color catcher first, just my thought. Good luck and let us know what worked.

sewcrafty 01-22-2011 05:00 AM

Do you have any of that Oxy Clean? If you have the spray pre-wash, spray well and wait. If in the tub, make a paste, apply & wait. If everything that everyone suggests doesn't work, dilute bleach with a little water and apply with a Q-Tip to the affected areas. This needs rinsing really well though.

deema 01-22-2011 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Throw it back in the washing machine with a color catcher, rewash and than dry. If you dried it on low heat it may not have set. But do that before anything else. Once you start with other things you are setting it harder. This advice comes from a fabric expert I know. (Not me, she is my go to person!)

Edit: The Bleedout might be the trick also but I would try just a color catcher first, just my thought. Good luck and let us know what worked.

It is still damp now, I didn't try to dry it again because I didn't want it to set - I have it hanging over the half wall upstairs so no more of the coloured parts touch the white...lol. I don't have colour catcher's though, and have never seen them in my area, I've looked everywhere for them... :( I think I might have seen someone on this board say that they (or a friend?) accidentally used a dry baby wipe thinking it was a Colour Catcher and it worked...?

leonajo 01-22-2011 05:08 AM

I was also going to suggest Bleach on a Qtip, BUT I would try the other advice first.......good luck!

obxqwlter 01-22-2011 05:08 AM

This is what I woudl do also...the color catchers are a terrific thing!

deema 01-22-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Do you have any of that Oxy Clean? If you have the spray pre-wash, spray well and wait. If in the tub, make a paste, apply & wait. If everything that everyone suggests doesn't work, dilute bleach with a little water and apply with a Q-Tip to the affected areas. This needs rinsing really well though.

Hmm, I don't have any, but I might be able to get some...I *hope*? Yikes. I don't think Granny will be getting her quilt today... :(